Old 25-06-2006, 07:42 PM posted to rec.ponds
Cuttysark

Default New to ponds, have a materials question...

Well if your from the UK its unlikely your gonna have a country
agent, so yu may have to find the title of a positin thats similar to
what the folks that help agriculture and rural folks . Universites
here also help rural types, or with projects as such so perhaps you
can find info at a university.

Bentonite is availabe in the UK so d not despair, as is other already
workable wet clays like the merle clays. Sodium Bentonite is a dry
form that gets rehydrated and expands and makes a seal, and its also
available in a sheet / roll form that is merely rolledout like liner
is, and allowed to get hydrated. Works fantastic but the roll form is
pretty pricey to buy, but it eliminates alot of disking and mixing in
and comnpacting of the powder form of sodium bentonite. Its merely
roll it out, and fill the hole up with water.

On Sat, 24 Jun 2006 15:36:41 -0500, ledoktre
wrote:

Hi,

Ive been reading around on the internet, and finding that this seems
to be the place to post a question :-)

We've got about 10 acres of land where we live, and we'd like to
consider making a pond. Size is of course determined on expense, and
the other typical factors involved.

My initial question I would ask, is, we happen to have ground on what
you might call a limestone base. We've dug down say 15 feet already,
just to see what would happen, and after a rain of a couple inches,
the water is gone in no time.

Is there some material a person can use to stop "seeping"?

Someone had suggested trying to find some type of clay, but I'd like
to get some opintions before we do anything else.

Thanks,

Doc