Old 24-06-2006, 09:36 PM posted to rec.ponds
ledoktre

Default New to ponds, have a materials question...

Hi,

Ive been reading around on the internet, and finding that this seems
to be the place to post a question :-)

We've got about 10 acres of land where we live, and we'd like to
consider making a pond. Size is of course determined on expense, and
the other typical factors involved.

My initial question I would ask, is, we happen to have ground on what
you might call a limestone base. We've dug down say 15 feet already,
just to see what would happen, and after a rain of a couple inches,
the water is gone in no time.

Is there some material a person can use to stop "seeping"?

Someone had suggested trying to find some type of clay, but I'd like
to get some opintions before we do anything else.

Thanks,

Doc

Old 25-06-2006, 12:09 AM posted to rec.ponds
Cuttysark

Wellthatis ot a bona fide way of determining permeability of your
soil. You need to take a collection of samples formthe area yu would
like to have the pond and have iut analyzed for lcay content. That
will tellyu if its suitable for the pond. There areb quite a few
things that canbe done to make it suitable if it does not have
suitable soil. You can haul in clay andline it, and compact it, which
is really a pretty common thing and fairly cheap. Blue merle clay is
best clay but other clays according to location is also suitable. Your
county extension agent can giveyu thelow down. You can also mix in
sodium bentonite which is a collodial clay which is also used for lots
of ladfills etc to make them retain water so undesirebale substances
do not get into the water table. Its not allthat expensive but it
needs to be worked into the soil when you dig the pond. Its just
about as good as having a oiner in the pond and makes for a very good
water tight pond if done right. There is ots of information onthis out
onthe web and from various companies. Look up bentonite corporation or
Ammerican Collodial and contact rthem for info as well as yout county
extension agent. My soils are predominately sand, and I mixeds in
bentonite (sodium) when I built my ponds over 20 years ago and they
have held water just fine. Oncx eyu start gettnbg sediment inthem it
even helps seal things up. Testing as yu have done is not a true way,
as even n good soils / clays your going to get some water that Thats
gets soaked up in rthe surounding soils so it appears its leaking when
it is not.. The only way to really tell is by having the soils
analyized and aperc /. permeality test done.About $20 at most soils
labs or universities. If I canhold water in sandy soil there is no
reason water wil not hold in any others oils if you really wnat a pond
anduse sodium (western type) bentonite) Do not allow just anyone to
dig a paond for you, as there is proper ways and improper ways and
nothing is worse than a pind with an improper silway or drainpipe or
inlet section or improper bentonite application. Ask how may other
ponds they dug and ask for references adn go look and talk to the
ponds owners. One other thing, and they wil tell you the same thing
if yuy get ahold of foks that know how to dig ponds and the county
extension agent shoul dhave a booklety for free nthis subject. but
anyhow, keep yur depth along rthe banks as deep as possible and it
will cut down on any aquatic weeds and growth of other plants.,
Shallow tapering edges make for lots of unwanted aquatic planat growth
that leads to a pond that appears to be leaking as it exoises the
bottom soils with very little water losses due to natural seepage or
evaporaition. All ponds leak or seep water so do not expecxt it to be
100 percent water tight as its not going to be. Its considered
normal..

Regards'

Roy

Old 25-06-2006, 01:05 AM posted to rec.ponds
~ janj

Ive been reading around on the internet, and finding that this seems
to be the place to post a question :-)

We've got about 10 acres of land where we live, and we'd like to
consider making a pond. Size is of course determined on expense, and
the other typical factors involved.

My initial question I would ask, is, we happen to have ground on what
you might call a limestone base. We've dug down say 15 feet already,
just to see what would happen, and after a rain of a couple inches,
the water is gone in no time.

Is there some material a person can use to stop "seeping"?

Someone had suggested trying to find some type of clay, but I'd like
to get some opintions before we do anything else.
Doc

Hi Doc,

Depends, how big a pond are you planning to build? Under standard swimming
pool size you will probably want to go with a liner. Bigger, bentonite clay
is what you need to do some research on. I know in Koiphen.com someone had
a thread going about building koi mud ponds. Bentonite is what they use in
those. Your county extension office should be able to help you out also.
~ jan
--------------
See my ponds and filter design:
www.jjspond.us

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website
Old 25-06-2006, 05:10 AM posted to rec.ponds

ledoktre wrote:
Hi,

Ive been reading around on the internet, and finding that this seems
to be the place to post a question :-)

We've got about 10 acres of land where we live, and we'd like to
consider making a pond. Size is of course determined on expense, and
the other typical factors involved.

My initial question I would ask, is, we happen to have ground on what
you might call a limestone base. We've dug down say 15 feet already,
just to see what would happen, and after a rain of a couple inches,
the water is gone in no time.

Is there some material a person can use to stop "seeping"?

Someone had suggested trying to find some type of clay, but I'd like
to get some opintions before we do anything else.

Thanks,

Hi Doc,

You have come to the right place and welcome.

Unfortunately we've been under attack froma bunch of lunatics lately.

I can't help you directly with your question, but look for an answer from
~janj She's very knowledgable and helpful and will steer you right.

Old 25-06-2006, 05:54 AM posted to rec.ponds
~Roy~

Cuttysark is my sockpuppit....if you were here, I cold oblige yu and put
a size 11 up your dumbass for you.....you may like it though....What is
breading? Is that like flouring them minnows up and rolling them in
bread crumbs or what? And I seriously doubt there is zillions of
them. Your freaking lying like your hero Alston........How do yu
know those minnows are happy bimbo..you going down them or what?
I really think you have yourself pulled silly........

Old 25-06-2006, 06:46 AM posted to rec.ponds
ledoktre

Thanks you guys, from the posts, it looks like I am best to call my
local county extension office on Monday :-)

Will report back later, if you're all interested.

Old 25-06-2006, 04:12 PM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-Lo

"ledoktre" wrote in message
Thanks you guys, from the posts, it looks like I am best to call my
local county extension office on Monday :-)

Will report back later, if you're all interested.

===============================
Yes, please do. I for one am interested. :-)
--
KL....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 25-06-2006, 06:39 PM posted to rec.ponds
Derek Broughton

ledoktre wrote:

Is there some material a person can use to stop "seeping"?

Typically, earth ponds use bentonite clay to line them. HDPE plastic (e.g.,
Permalon) _may_ be cost effective.
--
derek
Old 25-06-2006, 07:33 PM posted to rec.ponds
Cuttysark

On Sun, 25 Jun 2006 10:12:27 -0500, "Koi-Lo" ¤?¤@ö½.Õ..Õ¢ wrote:

"ledoktre" wrote in message
.. .
Thanks you guys, from the posts, it looks like I am best to call my
local county extension office on Monday :-)

Will report back later, if you're all interested.

===============================

Carol is just desperate to get someone to correspond with since she
and her sock puppets and friends destroyed these aquaria
groups..........Carol has no real life friends only the few she
manages to corner on the internet............even her husband doe not
pay her any attention..........

Old 25-06-2006, 07:42 PM posted to rec.ponds
Cuttysark

Well if your from the UK its unlikely your gonna have a country
agent, so yu may have to find the title of a positin thats similar to
what the folks that help agriculture and rural folks . Universites
here also help rural types, or with projects as such so perhaps you
can find info at a university.

Bentonite is availabe in the UK so d not despair, as is other already
workable wet clays like the merle clays. Sodium Bentonite is a dry
form that gets rehydrated and expands and makes a seal, and its also
available in a sheet / roll form that is merely rolledout like liner
is, and allowed to get hydrated. Works fantastic but the roll form is
pretty pricey to buy, but it eliminates alot of disking and mixing in
and comnpacting of the powder form of sodium bentonite. Its merely
roll it out, and fill the hole up with water.

Old 25-06-2006, 07:51 PM posted to rec.ponds
Cuttysark

Come on Derek, get wise.they only use sodium bentonite if the soil
does not have sufficient palsticity to it from clay content. 9 out of
10 ponds probably do not have one bit of bentonite clay in them
period. A base layer of 6 to 10 inches of good clay is more
thansufficient and very cheap and easy to work into place and you get
a leak freepond if its done right......no unsightly wrinkle leak prone
liner needed. Of course if its on ly a small mudd pubble then a liner
is fine., I seemto think but can not say with certainty these folks
want a real pond larger than the typical back yard koi pond, somewhere
from 1/4 acre or larger.maybe not.......but possibly. Rubber, PVC HDPE
Liners just plain suck when a bentonite lined pod can be had.

Ain;t no way permalon or HDPE is gonna be cheaper than a good
bentonite liner, plus the ability to find and repair any places that
may leak or get broken thorugh, andnot need to drain thepond down to
fix a leaking liner.........Liners are a pityfull get buy that only
makes a pond possible for fish types that think they need a
pond.......Its far from being the ideal media to construct apond with.

Old 25-06-2006, 09:35 PM posted to rec.ponds
~Roy~

Default New to ponds, have a materials question... my sock puppets

I gotta impesonate Ed and use socks to beat and berate old granmothers
like koi-lo... m ajes me feel like a real man to beat old women but
everyone's ignoring me... Howt he **** do I get everyones attention?

Old 25-06-2006, 09:36 PM posted to rec.ponds
~Roy~

Default New to ponds, have a materials question... my socks are ignored

Even my ****ing socks are ignored....

Old 25-06-2006, 10:00 PM posted to rec.ponds
~ janj

On Sun, 25 Jun 2006 00:46:47 -0500, ledoktre wrote:

Thanks you guys, from the posts, it looks like I am best to call my
local county extension office on Monday :-)

Will report back later, if you're all interested.

I am. ~ jan

Also ponding troll free at:
http://groups.google.com/group/The-Freshwater-Aquarium