Old 25-06-2006, 10:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Baal

Default Propagating fuschias

Thank you all!

--
I smile and go off waving
(Amiably) - for that's my way

Baal

http://www.helden.org.uk
"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message . com
from "Mike Lyle" contains these words:

. Not everybody has the
same success with cuttings in water: with water roots there can be a
problem in weaning onto solids.

I agree.

When selecting stems to make cuttings from, you'll notice that some
fuchsia stems have leaves set in pairs and some have their leaves set in
threes. I use stems with leaves in threes.

I use a 5 " plastic half-pot of 60/30 compost mixed with sharp grit.
Strip of any leaves/buds from the bottom of the fuchsia cuttings. Push
them into the compost, all round the rim of the pot; so that all the
underground bit of each cutting is in contact with plastic. You can fit
at least 8 cuttings in one pot. Leave the centre of the pot empty; this
lets air circulate. Water thoroughly, stand in a cool shady place
(outside is fine in summer) They should be rooted within three weeks.
When white roots start to show at the pot drainage holes, pot on
individually.

I don't know why contact with the pot-side helps fuchsias root, but
it does.

Janet.

--
Isle of Arran Open Gardens weekend 21,22,23 July 2006
5 UKP three-day adult ticket (funds go to island charities) buys entry