Old 24-06-2006, 10:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Baal

Default Propagating fuschias

I have an uncommon fuchsia called Sheila Mary (obtained in memory of my dear
mother-in-law who passed away 2 years ago). My father propagates many types
of fuchsia for his hanging baskets but had no luck taking cuttings from this
variety.

I found Sheila Mary in a nursery in Leeds but cannot remember where exactly.
So I cannot ask them for advice. Can anyone suggest a way that I may be
able to take successful cuttings? I would like to put one over my dad ;-)

--
I smile and go off waving
(Amiably) - for that's my way

Baal

http://www.helden.org.uk

Old 24-06-2006, 11:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Kate Morgan

I have an uncommon fuchsia called Sheila Mary (obtained in memory of my dear
mother-in-law who passed away 2 years ago). My father propagates many types
of fuchsia for his hanging baskets but had no luck taking cuttings from this
variety.

I found Sheila Mary in a nursery in Leeds but cannot remember where exactly.
So I cannot ask them for advice. Can anyone suggest a way that I may be
able to take successful cuttings? I would like to put one over my dad ;-)

I am sure that there are proper ways to take cutting but I have almost
always succeded this way, take a piece of preferbably none flowering
fuchsia, about 5/6" long, cut across the bottom just under a leaf joint
and put it into water, roots will soon apear, when there is a good root
system plant it up and bobs your uncle. All I know is that it works for
me.

good luck

kate
Old 24-06-2006, 11:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Kate Morgan

I am sure that there are proper ways to take cutting but I have almost
always succeded this way, take a piece of preferbably none flowering

write out 100 times

preferably
succeeded

well it is late :-)))
Old 25-06-2006, 01:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle

Kate Morgan wrote:
[...]

I'm puzzled about one particular variety being much harder to propagate
than the others, but that's gardening for you. Not everybody has the
same success with cuttings in water: with water roots there can be a
problem in weaning onto solids. Being klutzy, I'm happier with the
conventional 50-50ish mix of peat-like stuff and grit: cover with a
poly bag, warm place out of direct sun, and Bob's my uncle too. It's a
bit late now, as the shoots will all have the beginnings of flower
buds; but you _can_ get away with pinching out the tip of a four-inch
cutting, and nipping out any little flower buds which appear at the
sides as soon as feasible.

--
Mike.

Old 25-06-2006, 10:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Baal

Thank you all!

--
I smile and go off waving
(Amiably) - for that's my way

Baal

http://www.helden.org.uk
"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message . com
from "Mike Lyle" contains these words:

. Not everybody has the
same success with cuttings in water: with water roots there can be a
problem in weaning onto solids.

I agree.

When selecting stems to make cuttings from, you'll notice that some
fuchsia stems have leaves set in pairs and some have their leaves set in
threes. I use stems with leaves in threes.

I use a 5 " plastic half-pot of 60/30 compost mixed with sharp grit.
Strip of any leaves/buds from the bottom of the fuchsia cuttings. Push
them into the compost, all round the rim of the pot; so that all the
underground bit of each cutting is in contact with plastic. You can fit
at least 8 cuttings in one pot. Leave the centre of the pot empty; this
lets air circulate. Water thoroughly, stand in a cool shady place
(outside is fine in summer) They should be rooted within three weeks.
When white roots start to show at the pot drainage holes, pot on
individually.

I don't know why contact with the pot-side helps fuchsias root, but
it does.

Janet.

--
Isle of Arran Open Gardens weekend 21,22,23 July 2006
5 UKP three-day adult ticket (funds go to island charities) buys entry

Old 25-06-2006, 10:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle

Baal wrote:
Thank you all!

--
I smile and go off waving
(Amiably) - for that's my way

[...]

OT: Hey! Come back a mo, please. Is Teranews all right for general
Usenet purposes? I read somewhere that there had been some problems;
and a couple of weeks ago their website didn't seem to be responding.

--
Mike.

Old 25-06-2006, 10:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
cineman

Hi,
Firstly, you can purchase small containers filled with nutrient enriched Gel
which are supposed to aid cuttings.
Second, ( see my Maths are ok so far)
I was told as a nipper ny my grandfather that always place cuttings next to
the side of pots, but never told why except they root quicker, and have
found this advice appears to hold true with any in centre dying off easily.
Unfortunately, I have a habit of leaving them in pots too long and find
large tangled root systems not worth splitting so have a small bush to plant
in the end.
As to Fuschias, try taking with a heel where a shoot is attached to a main
stem, and try nipping just belaow a pair of leaves, see which the plant
prefers, they both have two chances to your one.
regards
Cineman

Old 26-06-2006, 06:17 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Vivek.M

On 25 Jun 2006 14:17:09 -0700, "Mike Lyle" wrote:
OT: Hey! Come back a mo, please. Is Teranews all right for general
Usenet purposes? I read somewhere that there had been some problems;
and a couple of weeks ago their website didn't seem to be responding.

I'd recommend datemas.de; Mail'd them and they got back within a day
with my account details and a friendly mail. I've used it for a short
time though..so.. teranews is a con job! Those skunks have embedded
"Free" in their page, but it's not free. Scumbags! You could also post
on alt.free.newsservers and news.newusers.questions (if you need help
with news).
Old 26-06-2006, 09:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\)

[...]

Your technique is what I use for most cuttings. I assume the contact with
the side of the pot allows good drainage and makes the roots split. I have
been told that square pots are better than round which I assume is something
to do with the Kew idea of planting trees in square holes.
Incidentally I always place one cutting right in the middle, which usually
fails, (just to prove the point)

Old 26-06-2006, 09:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Baal

Mike,

They had a problem with their domain but all is OK. They do not support
binaries but these days I do not see the need as there are always other
sources.

50MB download limit for a one-off fee of $3.95:

http://www.teranews.com/createaccount.html

--
I smile and go off waving
(Amiably) - for that's my way

Baal

http://www.helden.org.uk
"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
oups.com...

Baal wrote:
Thank you all!

--
I smile and go off waving
(Amiably) - for that's my way

[...]

Old 30-06-2006, 12:12 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle

Baal wrote:
Mike,

They had a problem with their domain but all is OK. They do not support
binaries but these days I do not see the need as there are always other
sources.

50MB download limit for a one-off fee of $3.95:

http://www.teranews.com/createaccount.html

Thanks to you and Vivek for the info.

--
Mike.

Newbie -Propagating Fuschias TB Gardening 2 01-09-2007 01:58 AM
Fuschias, upright variety ? [email protected] Gardening 1 21-05-2005 12:49 AM
fuschias gh United Kingdom 2 18-08-2003 01:22 PM
Hardy Fuschias in pots Serena Blanchflower United Kingdom 5 14-07-2003 10:47 AM
my fuschias have come back from the dead :) nicky United Kingdom 1 16-03-2003 09:20 AM