Old 25-06-2006, 10:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
cineman

Default Propagating fuschias

Hi,
Firstly, you can purchase small containers filled with nutrient enriched Gel
which are supposed to aid cuttings.
Second, ( see my Maths are ok so far)
I was told as a nipper ny my grandfather that always place cuttings next to
the side of pots, but never told why except they root quicker, and have
found this advice appears to hold true with any in centre dying off easily.
Unfortunately, I have a habit of leaving them in pots too long and find
large tangled root systems not worth splitting so have a small bush to plant
in the end.
As to Fuschias, try taking with a heel where a shoot is attached to a main
stem, and try nipping just belaow a pair of leaves, see which the plant
prefers, they both have two chances to your one.
regards
Cineman

. Not everybody has the
same success with cuttings in water: with water roots there can be a
problem in weaning onto solids.

I agree.

When selecting stems to make cuttings from, you'll notice that some
fuchsia stems have leaves set in pairs and some have their leaves set in
threes. I use stems with leaves in threes.

I use a 5 " plastic half-pot of 60/30 compost mixed with sharp grit.
Strip of any leaves/buds from the bottom of the fuchsia cuttings. Push
them into the compost, all round the rim of the pot; so that all the
underground bit of each cutting is in contact with plastic. You can fit
at least 8 cuttings in one pot. Leave the centre of the pot empty; this
lets air circulate. Water thoroughly, stand in a cool shady place
(outside is fine in summer) They should be rooted within three weeks.
When white roots start to show at the pot drainage holes, pot on
individually.

I don't know why contact with the pot-side helps fuchsias root, but
it does.

Janet.

--
Isle of Arran Open Gardens weekend 21,22,23 July 2006
5 UKP three-day adult ticket (funds go to island charities) buys entry