Old 26-06-2006, 12:43 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default I want a golf course lawn

mrkool wrote:
Hi Shane,

A friend of mine, in Mid-Tenn, used to work for a Golf Course, and
bought the mower
he used on the course, a Dixon zero turn, but what he did to get a
really good looking
"barefoot type" lawn, was to wait about August or Sept, sprayed the
whole lawn with Round-Up and killed every grass, weed and bug I guess,
about mid Sept, the neighborhood assoc. president drove by his house
and saw the only brown yard in the whole subdivision and about run off
into the ditch, but early, the next Spring, he re-seeded and sprayed
pre-emergent and watered and fertilized some now, not a lot,
and by May, he has the lawn to lay on, it's thick and soft and green as
John Deere paint.

What kind of idiot kills a lawn in August and waits till Spring to
reseed? Sept would have been the perfect time to seed, plus you dead
lawn wouldn't have looked like hell for 6 months.

He did send a soil sample to Tenn. tech and they sent him the grass(es)
that he could grow without any problems, I think he had a mix of about
5 different grasses, some for shade and some for path, but it really
looks good.

Shane wrote:
I recently bought a house in Central Missouri. My lawn was horrible.
Advice?