Old 28-06-2006, 08:24 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
shazzbat

Default radishes

"William L. Rose" wrote in message
In article .com,
"squeezeweasel" wrote:

I've had most success with radishes when planting in containers of
compost, thinning well. If you're having no luck with the roots this
year, have you thought about eating the leaves in a salad?

--
www.gastronomydomine.com

Hadn't thought about eating the leaves. I'll give it a go. Is tere a
chance that I need to use a mid-summer radish. Possibly I used a
precocious variety. I've already pulled half of the radishes. Goodby
radishes. Hello brussel sprouts. Didn't know where I was going to plant
them.

Have you thought about eating the seed pods? A few years ago we grew radish
variety 'rat's tail', grown specifically for the pods which were nicely
spicy,and great eaten raw in salads. You don't need more than a couple of
plants at most though, by the time it's flowered it will be a 4ft dia bush.
I think I'm going to grow them again next year now I've been reminded.

Steve