Old 25-06-2006, 06:24 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
William L. Rose

Default radishes

My radishes don't plump. I get long red roots above ground but they are
only about an eighth of an inch in diameter. The radished germinate very
quickly. They have large leaves but they don't have any flesh. The
garden is fifteen years old. It is basically clay but compost is dug
into it every year. There are worms in the soil. What do I have to do to
get these little suckers to plump up?
Old 25-06-2006, 11:24 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
shazzbat

"William L. Rose" wrote in message
My radishes don't plump. I get long red roots above ground but they are
only about an eighth of an inch in diameter. The radished germinate very
quickly. They have large leaves but they don't have any flesh. The
garden is fifteen years old. It is basically clay but compost is dug
into it every year. There are worms in the soil. What do I have to do to
get these little suckers to plump up?

Have you put them in too thickly? if so, thin them to an inch apart. And
what is the moisture like, they like moist soil.

Steve

Old 25-06-2006, 11:40 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article ,
"shazzbat" wrote:

"William L. Rose" wrote in message
My radishes don't plump. I get long red roots above ground but they are
only about an eighth of an inch in diameter. The radished germinate very
quickly. They have large leaves but they don't have any flesh. The
garden is fifteen years old. It is basically clay but compost is dug
into it every year. There are worms in the soil. What do I have to do to
get these little suckers to plump up?

Have you put them in too thickly? if so, thin them to an inch apart. And
what is the moisture like, they like moist soil.

Steve

The same thing happened to me one year...
I think that, not only did I leave them too dense, I also did not plant
them deep enough.

I left them in the ground since they did so badly, and I got a Hyooge
crop of seeds the second year! They weathered over as a bi-annual.
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson
Old 25-06-2006, 12:06 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Vivek.M

http://umassk12.net/~plant9/index_files/frame.htm
Old 25-06-2006, 06:08 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
William L. Rose

In article ,
Vivek.M wrote:

http://umassk12.net/~plant9/index_files/frame.htm

Nice use of pedagogy, however the question was about maximizing the
gastronomical diameter of the little sucker and not germination, though
it was a nice slide show. I could almost see my seeds germinating in
mid-air as they plummeted into my garden. A couple of days later, there
were little leaves poking-up where the seeds had been deposited.

Steve, of course I planted them too closely, for the most part. I made a
couple of pre-emptive thinnings but it still wasn't enough. Even the
radishes that had no immediate neighbors came up scrawny. The soil is
probably over watered but not soggy. You can't squeeze water out of it.

Shazzbat, I think I can find something eles to grow if all I'm going to
get be strings. I just thought that radishes would make a nice condiment
for our salads.

You know, my Mom always had that blind spot. What's more, I've never
understood how my Mom could have met sooo many people. I got people
calling me a S.O.B. all the time and I find it hard to belive that she
met all of them.

Thanks y'all, but I think I'm gonna find me something else to grow.

Old 25-06-2006, 06:37 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article ,
"William L. Rose" wrote:

In article ,
Vivek.M wrote:

[...]

If you like radish, you could always try daikon...... :-)
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson
Old 26-06-2006, 02:06 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
squeezeweasel

I've had most success with radishes when planting in containers of
compost, thinning well. If you're having no luck with the roots this
year, have you thought about eating the leaves in a salad?

--
www.gastronomydomine.com

Old 27-06-2006, 02:34 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
William L. Rose

In article .com,
"squeezeweasel" wrote:

I've had most success with radishes when planting in containers of
compost, thinning well. If you're having no luck with the roots this
year, have you thought about eating the leaves in a salad?

--
www.gastronomydomine.com

Hadn't thought about eating the leaves. I'll give it a go. Is tere a
chance that I need to use a mid-summer radish. Possibly I used a
precocious variety. I've already pulled half of the radishes. Goodby
radishes. Hello brussel sprouts. Didn't know where I was going to plant
them.

Thanks
Old 28-06-2006, 08:24 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
shazzbat

"squeezeweasel" wrote:

I've had most success with radishes when planting in containers of
compost, thinning well. If you're having no luck with the roots this
year, have you thought about eating the leaves in a salad?

--
www.gastronomydomine.com

Hadn't thought about eating the leaves. I'll give it a go. Is tere a
chance that I need to use a mid-summer radish. Possibly I used a
precocious variety. I've already pulled half of the radishes. Goodby
radishes. Hello brussel sprouts. Didn't know where I was going to plant
them.

Have you thought about eating the seed pods? A few years ago we grew radish
variety 'rat's tail', grown specifically for the pods which were nicely
spicy,and great eaten raw in salads. You don't need more than a couple of
plants at most though, by the time it's flowered it will be a 4ft dia bush.
I think I'm going to grow them again next year now I've been reminded.

Steve

Old 30-06-2006, 10:16 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
William L. Rose

"squeezeweasel" wrote:

[...]

Live and learn. "The radish is traditionally sliced thin, salted and
served with beer." I can see myself in this picture. Thanks.

Old 01-07-2006, 02:45 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
James

Some of the ones I used lots of fertilizer had large tops but not much
bottom. Some others that didn't get all that N had tops that looked
like runts but did have some good bottoms.

So

plant or thin to a least 2" apart,

use low N fertilizer,

water as necessary.

Old 01-07-2006, 06:40 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
William L. Rose

In article .com,
"James" wrote:

Some of the ones I used lots of fertilizer had large tops but not much
bottom. Some others that didn't get all that N had tops that looked
like runts but did have some good bottoms.

So

plant or thin to a least 2" apart,

use low N fertilizer,

water as necessary.

I would have thought (and logic is only as good as its' premise) that
the tops and the root would have come into some sort of balance; volume
wise. I don't use pharmaceutical nitrogen but manure (this year it was
steer). The compost and mulch is grape pumace. Worms everywhere! The
root garden was my old lettuce garden but I decided to rotate the crop
this year. Sowed carrots but I never saw them. Small slugs (the size of
maggots) and rolly-pollies are the suspects. Beets are showing tops and
I think some of the parsnips may have survived. It's on drip irrigation
so the bed never goes dry.

I'm getting ready to sow carrots and parsnips again. If it's not too
late (region 9), I may try some pod radishes as well. I'm on a hillside
and the lower I go, the less sun there is. Here in N. California, we had
a late start to the season because of rain until May. Although it is
warmer than last year, it has been a cool year so far. With any luck we
will get another Indian summer, like last year, to carry us into
November.
Old 23-03-2011, 06:02 PM
Registered User

I thought (and the logic is only as good as its' under the premise) will enter the top and root of a balance; volume wise. I do not use drugs, but the fertilizer nitrogen (this is at the helm.) Compost and cover the grape pumace. Worms everywhere! Root old garden is my garden lettuce, but I decided to this year's crop rotation.
__________________
Pond Supplies
Old 29-03-2011, 04:48 PM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmManiPadmeOmelet View Post
If you like radish, you could always try daikon...... :-)
Daikon is a radish, often known as icicle radish or mooli. There are other kinds of large radish too.
Old 30-03-2011, 04:13 PM
Registered User

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by William L. Rose View Post
My radishes don't plump. I get long red roots above ground but they are
only about an eighth of an inch in diameter. The radished germinate very
quickly. They have large leaves but they don't have any flesh. The
garden is fifteen years old. It is basically clay but compost is dug
into it every year. There are worms in the soil. What do I have to do to
get these little suckers to plump up?
The pH level of the soil should be around 7 (neutral), and you should try to mix in some sand into the fresh dirt. Radishes like a sandy loam to do well in. I plant them quite often because they are "easy" to grow.... A great website I've found for growing, pest deterring, etc. is Radish Garden - Healthy Snacks . Hope this helps!

radishes donald girod Lawns 0 14-07-2003 05:46 PM
radishes...storage, seeds.... Simon Stenkle Edible Gardening 1 08-07-2003 04:10 PM
What I've learnt about Radishes Steve Harris United Kingdom 3 27-04-2003 09:56 PM
Radishes Morgan Australia 3 05-04-2003 06:33 AM
Radishes - my Waterloo Polar Edible Gardening 7 25-03-2003 11:20 PM