Old 28-06-2006, 11:41 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle

Default Carpet v Weed Membrane

George.com wrote:
"Someone Here" wrote in message
. uk...

"Mr Big" wrote in message
Anybody any thoughts on the pros and cons of using carpet as against
weed membrane.

I am looking at buying 'new' but very cheap carpet with no foam
backing, as offcuts 12ft x 12ft are quite cheap ???

In no particular order:

Cost - Old carpet is free. Weed proof membrane is not.

When carpet rots the coloured fibres will lie everywhere.

go to a carpet retailer or layer and see if they have any old hessian type
underlay (looks a little like firbeglass insulation). It will keep weeds
down and will rot away in time. It does the job well enough and you can get
it free. The firm will have to pay to chuck it so you will be doing them a
favour.

I think we need a clear idea of what the barrier layer is intended to
do. If it's a temporary measure intended to kill off a particular
infestation, and which will be taken away after a few months or a year,
carpet could do it, though not as well as impervious stout black
plastic. I've done it with black poly, and indeed cardboard, and it
worked OK. George's suggestion of old felt underlay is a good one:
nasty to work with in dry weather, of course, as it'll be full of dust
-- you need to be sure it's totally light-proof, though.

If it's meant to be permanent, well, I have my doubts about all these
measures. Synthetic carpet will soon enough gain a crop of rather
unhappy but determined weeds on _top_, and weeding will surely be
harder than simply hoeing a patch of soil. Impervious plastic must be
bad for the long-term health of the soil. For the "official" anti-weed
membranes, I'd like to hear from people who've had them down for five
years or mo did they get fed up of the sight of them? If they were
covered with shingle or bark chippings, did weeds take hold on top as I
predicted for carpet? Etc?

I don't claim certain knowledge on the subject, as I've only tried this
kind of thing for particular limited aims; but I can't help wondering
if these "labour-saving" measures are just another idea thrown up by
the instant horticulture fad, and if in fact plain old _gardening_ is
less work overall. After some time, getting non-degradable stuff _out_
again when you want to is going to be a nightmare.

--
Mike.