Old 27-06-2006, 03:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mr Big

Default Carpet v Weed Membrane

Anybody any thoughts on the pros and cons of using carpet as against
weed membrane.

I am looking at buying 'new' but very cheap carpet with no foam
backing, as offcuts 12ft x 12ft are quite cheap ???
Old 27-06-2006, 06:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Someone Here

"Mr Big" wrote in message
Anybody any thoughts on the pros and cons of using carpet as against
weed membrane.

I am looking at buying 'new' but very cheap carpet with no foam
backing, as offcuts 12ft x 12ft are quite cheap ???

In no particular order:

Cost - Old carpet is free. Weed proof membrane is not.

When carpet rots the coloured fibres will lie everywhere.

Weed membrane can be delicate. Around here it tears in the wind and when the
local oik walks on it.

Appearance. My neighbours do not like to see black membrane but will
actually complain about old carpet
in the front garden.

HTH

Old 28-06-2006, 10:14 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
George.com

"Someone Here" wrote in message
. uk...

"Mr Big" wrote in message
Anybody any thoughts on the pros and cons of using carpet as against
weed membrane.

I am looking at buying 'new' but very cheap carpet with no foam
backing, as offcuts 12ft x 12ft are quite cheap ???

In no particular order:

Cost - Old carpet is free. Weed proof membrane is not.

When carpet rots the coloured fibres will lie everywhere.

go to a carpet retailer or layer and see if they have any old hessian type
underlay (looks a little like firbeglass insulation). It will keep weeds
down and will rot away in time. It does the job well enough and you can get
it free. The firm will have to pay to chuck it so you will be doing them a
favour.

rob

Old 28-06-2006, 11:41 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle

"Mr Big" wrote in message
Anybody any thoughts on the pros and cons of using carpet as against
weed membrane.

I am looking at buying 'new' but very cheap carpet with no foam
backing, as offcuts 12ft x 12ft are quite cheap ???

In no particular order:

Cost - Old carpet is free. Weed proof membrane is not.

When carpet rots the coloured fibres will lie everywhere.

go to a carpet retailer or layer and see if they have any old hessian type
underlay (looks a little like firbeglass insulation). It will keep weeds
down and will rot away in time. It does the job well enough and you can get
it free. The firm will have to pay to chuck it so you will be doing them a
favour.

I think we need a clear idea of what the barrier layer is intended to
do. If it's a temporary measure intended to kill off a particular
infestation, and which will be taken away after a few months or a year,
carpet could do it, though not as well as impervious stout black
plastic. I've done it with black poly, and indeed cardboard, and it
worked OK. George's suggestion of old felt underlay is a good one:
nasty to work with in dry weather, of course, as it'll be full of dust
-- you need to be sure it's totally light-proof, though.

If it's meant to be permanent, well, I have my doubts about all these
measures. Synthetic carpet will soon enough gain a crop of rather
unhappy but determined weeds on _top_, and weeding will surely be
harder than simply hoeing a patch of soil. Impervious plastic must be
bad for the long-term health of the soil. For the "official" anti-weed
membranes, I'd like to hear from people who've had them down for five
years or mo did they get fed up of the sight of them? If they were
covered with shingle or bark chippings, did weeds take hold on top as I
predicted for carpet? Etc?

I don't claim certain knowledge on the subject, as I've only tried this
kind of thing for particular limited aims; but I can't help wondering
if these "labour-saving" measures are just another idea thrown up by
the instant horticulture fad, and if in fact plain old _gardening_ is
less work overall. After some time, getting non-degradable stuff _out_
again when you want to is going to be a nightmare.

--
Mike.

Old 28-06-2006, 01:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\)

"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
ups.com...

"Mr Big" wrote in message
[...]

One area on which I used black polythene and gravel was very successful for
about a year. It is now the very best area for germination of even quite
difficult plants:-)
The rest of the garden is mulched with plants. No visible soil means little
or no weeds.

Old 28-06-2006, 07:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Charlie Pridham

"Rupert (W.Yorkshire)" wrote in message

"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
ups.com...

George.com wrote:
[...]

My method too!
I once had membrane down for about 10 years in the fruit cage between the
bushes but eventually removed it because although the total quantity of
weeds may have been reduced, docks and dandelions hogweed and many more
managed to get through it and were then impossible to remove, I think using
temporary compostable barriers much better.
--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 29-06-2006, 09:34 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
George.com

"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
ups.com...

"Mr Big" wrote in message
[...]

thats the stuff, felt underlay. It has the advantage of rotting away slowly
but providing several years weed suppression without leaving bothersome bits
behind. I use it in my garden as both a weed suppressor on fallow beds and
over compost to keep the weather off. If it is to be used over an existing
bed and then covered with a compost to plant into, it will work well for
some years. The underlay can also be slit and shrubs etc planted in to the
soil underneath. The same goes if laying over an existing bed and planting
through it. The underlay may not look too nice however neithe does old
carpet or black weed membrane for my money. Some type of mulch can be put
over the top to hide it. The bonus is thats its free.

rob

Old 30-06-2006, 08:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Someone Here

"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
ups.com...

I don't claim certain knowledge on the subject, as I've only tried this
kind of thing for particular limited aims; but I can't help wondering
if these "labour-saving" measures are just another idea thrown up by
the instant horticulture fad, and if in fact plain old _gardening_ is
less work overall. After some time, getting non-degradable stuff _out_
again when you want to is going to be a nightmare.

Moved into my house in 1998. Front garden was a clay mudbath.
Used the hessian backed carpet left by previous owner to cover it up.
Dumped five tons of gravel on top, for a one inch thck layer.

I get sycamore seedlings each year, but they pull up with no effort.

Other than clearing the rubbish which blows in there is no gardening to do.

Dave

Old 01-07-2006, 02:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle

Janet Baraclough wrote:
The message
from "Someone Here" contains these words:

Moved into my house in 1998. Front garden was a clay mudbath.
Used the hessian backed carpet left by previous owner to cover it up.
Dumped five tons of gravel on top, for a one inch thck layer.

I get sycamore seedlings each year, but they pull up with no effort.

Other than clearing the rubbish which blows in there is no gardening to do.

Yebbut..is 5 tons of spread gravel , a garden?

Ah, you must contemprate the symborism, Glasshopper! When you see that
the garden and the glavel are the same and not the same, infinity in
finitude, and become yourself the still point at the centre which is
also the edge, you shall understand what cannot be understood.
Meanwhile, student-san, I think that's a weed over there...

--
Mike.

weed suppresant membrane ttg Gardening 3 20-03-2010 01:16 AM
Weed suppressant membrane Paul Bendall United Kingdom 5 12-11-2008 05:53 AM
weed membrane is it ok to use plastic sheet instead gavj Gardening 5 11-06-2007 02:26 PM
Using old carpet as a weed mat Claude Australia 3 09-01-2007 01:08 AM
* FREE * Classified Ads for Vacuums ,Carpet Cleaning equipment, and Carpet Cleaning Vans and Vehicles Classifieds Webmaster Lawns 1 19-08-2004 12:43 PM