Old 29-06-2006, 07:23 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Cat(h)

Default Cladrastis sinensis

Janet Tweedy wrote:
In article . com,
"Cat(h)" writes

How about one of my absolute favourites, the sweet chestnut?

Saw a variegated one last week but suspect they can get as big as the
red oak!

Janet

They do grow quite large. I was born right beside a 150 year + sweet
chestnut forest (planted, though the tree is I believe native to SW
France), and some of the trees were as large as large old oaks.
But you might have moved house before the 150 years are up?
And I admit to shuddering at the thought of a variegated chestnut - why
mess around with perfection?

Cat(h) (who having had a very special tree house in one, is utterly
non-objective about sweet chestnut trees)