Old 30-06-2006, 06:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Who?

Default Horse flies

"fenwoman" wrote in message
news

Who? wrote in message

"Stan The Man" wrote in message
My garden (and home) is being invaded by horse flies (three horses are
stabled in the field next door) and their nasty bites make venturing
out into the garden quite hazardous. Is there anything I, or the horse
owner, can do to reduce their number? TIA.

I sympathise with your plight as a horse owner myself I have hundreds,
and

DO mean hundreds of scars from horse fly and midge bites on my lower leg
parts.

Your local chemist will be able to supply some anti Mosquito cream that
is
designed to repel Mozzies, and I have had some success with it for horse
fly.

If you can stand it, eat plenty of garlic. It also helps to repel the

little
buggers. Downside is it also repels some of your friends, not a bad thing

if
you *want* them to stay away though ;-)

Other than that the season for them isn't *that* long.

Lavender oil also seems to work. I discovered this by accident.
I love the smell of lavender and so each night I sprinkle a few drops on
the pillws and sheets. It relaxes me. Normally I get eaten alive by
mozzies
but this year I have not had one bite and put it down to the fact that I
started sprinkling lavender oil in my bed.

Lavender is a well known herbal sleep relaxant assister. Her indoors uses
it.
Reminds me of an old lady handbag though ;-)