Old 29-06-2006, 12:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Kate Morgan

Default Horse flies

My garden (and home) is being invaded by horse flies (three horses are
stabled in the field next door) and their nasty bites make venturing
out into the garden quite hazardous. Is there anything I, or the horse
owner, can do to reduce their number? TIA.

there are plenty of things that the horse owner can and should be doing,
maybe they already are. Many lotions potions and rugs are available to
put on the animals, it goes without saying that the stables and horses
should be clean. It is an unfortunate fact that some horses get bitten
more than others, the flies used to love my old horse but they are not
interested in our present pet.

kate

Old 29-06-2006, 06:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Who?

"Stan The Man" wrote in message
My garden (and home) is being invaded by horse flies (three horses are
stabled in the field next door) and their nasty bites make venturing
out into the garden quite hazardous. Is there anything I, or the horse
owner, can do to reduce their number? TIA.

I sympathise with your plight as a horse owner myself I have hundreds, and I
DO mean hundreds of scars from horse fly and midge bites on my lower leg
parts.

Your local chemist will be able to supply some anti Mosquito cream that is
designed to repel Mozzies, and I have had some success with it for horse
fly.

If you can stand it, eat plenty of garlic. It also helps to repel the little
buggers. Downside is it also repels some of your friends, not a bad thing if
you *want* them to stay away though ;-)

Other than that the season for them isn't *that* long.

Old 29-06-2006, 07:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Robert

"Stan The Man" wrote in message
: My garden (and home) is being invaded by horse flies (three horses are
: stabled in the field next door) and their nasty bites make venturing
: out into the garden quite hazardous. Is there anything I, or the horse
: owner, can do to reduce their number? TIA.

Being completely facetious your heading looked like a silly newspaper
heading, but of course if it was on the sports pages referring to England's
chances it would be, "Pig flies"!

Old 29-06-2006, 09:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sue

But house flies is the best.

Sue W.

--
Derby, England.

Don't try to email me using "REPLY" as the email address is NoSpam. Our
email address is "thewoodies2 at ntlworld dot com"

"Stan The Man" wrote in message
In article , Robert
wrote:

"Stan The Man" wrote in message
: My garden (and home) is being invaded by horse flies (three horses are
: stabled in the field next door) and their nasty bites make venturing
: out into the garden quite hazardous. Is there anything I, or the horse
: owner, can do to reduce their number? TIA.

Being completely facetious your heading looked like a silly newspaper
heading, but of course if it was on the sports pages referring to
England's
chances it would be, "Pig flies"!

There is also a bat fly. Bit of a ho-hum headline that would have been.

Old 29-06-2006, 11:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden

"Stan The Man" wrote
My garden (and home) is being invaded by horse flies (three horses are
stabled in the field next door) and their nasty bites make venturing
out into the garden quite hazardous. Is there anything I, or the horse
owner, can do to reduce their number?

Not reduce their numbers but to stop you and yours being bitten try using an
insect repellent containing DEET. Most good outdoor shops will stock the
real stuff if your local chemist doesn't.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 29-06-2006, 11:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
fenwoman

Who? wrote in message

[...]

Lavender oil also seems to work. I discovered this by accident.
I love the smell of lavender and so each night I sprinkle a few drops on
the pillws and sheets. It relaxes me. Normally I get eaten alive by mozzies
but this year I have not had one bite and put it down to the fact that I
started sprinkling lavender oil in my bed.

Old 30-06-2006, 06:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Who?

"fenwoman" wrote in message
news

Who? wrote in message

[...]

Lavender is a well known herbal sleep relaxant assister. Her indoors uses
it.
Reminds me of an old lady handbag though ;-)

Old 30-06-2006, 07:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
fenwoman

Who? wrote in message
Lavender oil also seems to work. I discovered this by accident.
I love the smell of lavender and so each night I sprinkle a few drops on
the pillws and sheets. It relaxes me. Normally I get eaten alive by
mozzies
but this year I have not had one bite and put it down to the fact that I
started sprinkling lavender oil in my bed.

Lavender is a well known herbal sleep relaxant assister. Her indoors uses
it.
Reminds me of an old lady handbag though ;-)

Really? I wouldn't know cos I don't go about sniffing old lady's handbags
lol ;0)

Old 30-06-2006, 07:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
david taylor

We have horses and flies near our house-insect repellents are indeed useful.
A horsefly attack usually involves only one insect and (steel yourself) if
you let it land there is a useful interval between skin contact and the
bite.
Let it land then blat it. This removes the immediate nuisance and lets you
get on with whatever you are doing.
Co-operating with a friend is also a useful way of dealing with them, as one
person can look out for the other.
Midges can attack en masse when this advice does not apply.
Regards
David T

"Stan The Man" wrote

Old 01-07-2006, 09:42 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Who?

"fenwoman" wrote in message

Who? wrote in message
Lavender oil also seems to work. I discovered this by accident.
I love the smell of lavender and so each night I sprinkle a few drops
on
the pillws and sheets. It relaxes me. Normally I get eaten alive by
mozzies
but this year I have not had one bite and put it down to the fact that
started sprinkling lavender oil in my bed.

Lavender is a well known herbal sleep relaxant assister. Her indoors uses
it.
Reminds me of an old lady handbag though ;-)

Really? I wouldn't know cos I don't go about sniffing old lady's handbags
lol ;0)

Heh,
Nor do I but you can't miss 'em in Tescos on Pension day

Old 03-07-2006, 09:23 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
newsb

In article , Robert
writes

Being completely facetious your heading looked like a silly newspaper
heading, but of course if it was on the sports pages referring to England's
chances it would be, "Pig flies"!

And I know it will be well known to most, but I can't resist my all time
favorite epithet -
'Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana'

--
regards andyw
Old 03-07-2006, 09:31 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike

"newsb" wrote in message
In article , Robert
writes

Being completely facetious your heading looked like a silly newspaper
heading, but of course if it was on the sports pages referring to

England's
chances it would be, "Pig flies"!

And I know it will be well known to most, but I can't resist my all time
favorite epithet -
'Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana'

--
regards andyw

Eats shoots and leaves

Mike
(Do I need to explain that one too?)

www.rnshipmates.co.uk
International Festival of the Sea 28th June - 1st July 2007

Horse Flies Jim[_19_] Lawns 7 31-08-2009 03:58 PM
OT - Horse flies bowtiejim United Kingdom 4 16-08-2003 12:33 AM
horse flies Andrew United Kingdom 6 19-04-2003 10:26 PM
tiny gnats -flies- aphids David Shalita Edible Gardening 1 31-01-2003 02:14 AM
White flies in soil and on citrus Snooze Gardening 1 25-01-2003 02:02 PM