Old 30-06-2006, 08:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Someone Here

Default Carpet v Weed Membrane

"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
ups.com...

I don't claim certain knowledge on the subject, as I've only tried this
kind of thing for particular limited aims; but I can't help wondering
if these "labour-saving" measures are just another idea thrown up by
the instant horticulture fad, and if in fact plain old _gardening_ is
less work overall. After some time, getting non-degradable stuff _out_
again when you want to is going to be a nightmare.

Moved into my house in 1998. Front garden was a clay mudbath.
Used the hessian backed carpet left by previous owner to cover it up.
Dumped five tons of gravel on top, for a one inch thck layer.

I get sycamore seedlings each year, but they pull up with no effort.

Other than clearing the rubbish which blows in there is no gardening to do.

Dave