Old 01-07-2006, 02:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle

Default Carpet v Weed Membrane

Janet Baraclough wrote:
The message
from "Someone Here" contains these words:

Moved into my house in 1998. Front garden was a clay mudbath.
Used the hessian backed carpet left by previous owner to cover it up.
Dumped five tons of gravel on top, for a one inch thck layer.

I get sycamore seedlings each year, but they pull up with no effort.

Other than clearing the rubbish which blows in there is no gardening to do.

Yebbut..is 5 tons of spread gravel , a garden?

Ah, you must contemprate the symborism, Glasshopper! When you see that
the garden and the glavel are the same and not the same, infinity in
finitude, and become yourself the still point at the centre which is
also the edge, you shall understand what cannot be understood.
Meanwhile, student-san, I think that's a weed over there...

--
Mike.