Old 01-07-2006, 03:58 PM posted to aus.gardens
loosecanon

Default Old Peach Tree - Grafting

"Mike" wrote in message
I have an old Peach tree my Grandmother planted 30 years ago. It is an old
variety of delicate fleshed White Peach with a magnificent flavour. Many
years of good bearing is seeing it starting to decline and I have had to

cut
several dying limbs from it over the last few years. It seem to still have
good life in it however. I would like to graft some of this variety to a
new tree to perpetuate this variety.
When is it best to graft?
What Method Should I use?
What is the best root stock or companion tree for it?

Thanks

Hey Mike,

My references say t-budding onto Nemaguard rootstook in Feb - Mar. Not to
cut to deeply or the host tree will bleed and the bud won't take. Also to
remove a 1/3 of the top growth leaving enough leaves to support the t-bud.

Watch which buds you take from the peach tree. There are "pointed" buds and
"rounded" buds. Rounded buds are flower or fruiting buds. You want to
encourage a new branch structure so use pointed buds.

I have no idea where you'd find the Nemaguard rootstock. I suppose you might
find a stonefruit with that rootstock and be able to graft the peach onto
it.

Be good to have a white nectarine with a white peach on the same tree,
yum!!!

Cheers

Richard