Old 30-06-2006, 09:01 AM posted to aus.gardens
Mike

Default Old Peach Tree - Grafting

I have an old Peach tree my Grandmother planted 30 years ago. It is an old
variety of delicate fleshed White Peach with a magnificent flavour. Many
years of good bearing is seeing it starting to decline and I have had to cut
several dying limbs from it over the last few years. It seem to still have
good life in it however. I would like to graft some of this variety to a
new tree to perpetuate this variety.
When is it best to graft?
What Method Should I use?
What is the best root stock or companion tree for it?

Thanks

Old 01-07-2006, 03:58 PM posted to aus.gardens
loosecanon

"Mike" wrote in message
I have an old Peach tree my Grandmother planted 30 years ago. It is an old
variety of delicate fleshed White Peach with a magnificent flavour. Many
years of good bearing is seeing it starting to decline and I have had to

cut
several dying limbs from it over the last few years. It seem to still have
good life in it however. I would like to graft some of this variety to a
new tree to perpetuate this variety.
When is it best to graft?
What Method Should I use?
What is the best root stock or companion tree for it?

Thanks

Hey Mike,

My references say t-budding onto Nemaguard rootstook in Feb - Mar. Not to
cut to deeply or the host tree will bleed and the bud won't take. Also to
remove a 1/3 of the top growth leaving enough leaves to support the t-bud.

Watch which buds you take from the peach tree. There are "pointed" buds and
"rounded" buds. Rounded buds are flower or fruiting buds. You want to
encourage a new branch structure so use pointed buds.

I have no idea where you'd find the Nemaguard rootstock. I suppose you might
find a stonefruit with that rootstock and be able to graft the peach onto
it.

Be good to have a white nectarine with a white peach on the same tree,
yum!!!

Cheers

Richard

Old 21-07-2006, 10:18 AM posted to aus.gardens
China

G'day Mike,
Why not have a chat with one of your local nurserymen or
orchardists and find out what is the local drum. You don't tell us where you
are, and that would affect the choice of rootstock. Any way, they will
probably be happy to 'Bud' a couple or more of the peach for you, and others
in your family might like one of Grandfathers peaches (...there is some Xmas
shopping done already.. ).

...wishing you rain...

China
Wingham
NSW

peach grafting Willi_9 Garden Photos 0 29-12-2014 10:23 AM
Grafting an old apple tree Chris Potts United Kingdom 5 10-01-2007 02:47 PM
[IBC] For old, Old, OLD members ;-) Bill Neff Bonsai 3 18-05-2005 04:28 AM
[IBC] For old, Old, OLD members ;-) Jim Lewis Bonsai 1 17-05-2005 09:14 PM
3 year old peach tree help Grey-hound Gardening 4 13-04-2004 08:32 PM