Old 02-07-2006, 08:00 PM posted to rec.gardens
zxcvbob

Default Drip Irrigation

Zook wrote:
I installed drip irrigation and need some help with a problem.

I have (from faucet) backflow preventer, filter, pressure regular, hose
thread to 1/2" poly tubing.

The 1/2 polytubing is the distribution and runs about 80 ft. There are about
30 places where I have 1/4 dripline coming off and running to plants. Each
run of 1/4 is 4 ft max. The dripline is rated to 30psi and I used a 25 PSI
regulator.

So, turn on the water and instead of the 1/4 drip line dripping - it sprays
water 3 ft in the air.

I change to a 15PSI regulator - same deal, water sprays a little less but
still shooting a stream and not dripping.

I change to a 10PSI regulator- same deal.

What have I done wrong, why is this stuff spraying and not dripping?

Thanks for any help.

You need an "emmiter" at the end of the drip lines.

BTW, you can put a globe valve after the regulator to drop the pressure
and adjust the flow rate without having to change the regulator. A
small gate valve also works well, even thought the valve says to only
operate fully-open or fully-closed.

Bob