Old 02-07-2006, 04:22 PM posted to rec.gardens
Zook

Default Drip Irrigation

I installed drip irrigation and need some help with a problem.

I have (from faucet) backflow preventer, filter, pressure regular, hose
thread to 1/2" poly tubing.

The 1/2 polytubing is the distribution and runs about 80 ft. There are about
30 places where I have 1/4 dripline coming off and running to plants. Each
run of 1/4 is 4 ft max. The dripline is rated to 30psi and I used a 25 PSI
regulator.

So, turn on the water and instead of the 1/4 drip line dripping - it sprays
water 3 ft in the air.

I change to a 15PSI regulator - same deal, water sprays a little less but
still shooting a stream and not dripping.

I change to a 10PSI regulator- same deal.

What have I done wrong, why is this stuff spraying and not dripping?

Thanks for any help.

Old 02-07-2006, 08:00 PM posted to rec.gardens
zxcvbob

Zook wrote:
I installed drip irrigation and need some help with a problem.

I have (from faucet) backflow preventer, filter, pressure regular, hose
thread to 1/2" poly tubing.

The 1/2 polytubing is the distribution and runs about 80 ft. There are about
30 places where I have 1/4 dripline coming off and running to plants. Each
run of 1/4 is 4 ft max. The dripline is rated to 30psi and I used a 25 PSI
regulator.

So, turn on the water and instead of the 1/4 drip line dripping - it sprays
water 3 ft in the air.

I change to a 15PSI regulator - same deal, water sprays a little less but
still shooting a stream and not dripping.

I change to a 10PSI regulator- same deal.

What have I done wrong, why is this stuff spraying and not dripping?

Thanks for any help.

You need an "emmiter" at the end of the drip lines.

BTW, you can put a globe valve after the regulator to drop the pressure
and adjust the flow rate without having to change the regulator. A
small gate valve also works well, even thought the valve says to only
operate fully-open or fully-closed.

Bob
Old 02-07-2006, 08:31 PM posted to rec.gardens
Zook

"zxcvbob" wrote in message
You need an "emmiter" at the end of the drip lines.

BTW, you can put a globe valve after the regulator to drop the pressure
and adjust the flow rate without having to change the regulator. A small
gate valve also works well, even thought the valve says to only operate
fully-open or fully-closed.

Bob

sorry, should have said - the dripline has pressure compensating emitters
every 12 inches.

Old 02-07-2006, 10:33 PM posted to rec.gardens
zxcvbob

Zook wrote:
"zxcvbob" wrote in message
You need an "emmiter" at the end of the drip lines.

BTW, you can put a globe valve after the regulator to drop the pressure
and adjust the flow rate without having to change the regulator. A small
gate valve also works well, even thought the valve says to only operate
fully-open or fully-closed.

Bob

sorry, should have said - the dripline has pressure compensating emitters
every 12 inches.

Then the pressure is still too high. (I can't remember what pressure I
used way back when -- I think it was about 7 psi, achieved with a 15 psi
regulator followed by a partially open gate valve.) Try putting a valve
between your regulator and your main distribution line and adjust it
down until the water drips out.

You can also turn the drip-line over so it sprays down.

The manufacturer of the drip hose should have a recommended pressure range.

Bob

Old 02-07-2006, 10:42 PM posted to rec.gardens
Zook

"Not@home" wrote in message
Is the stream coming from an emitter, or from the end of the drip line?

Its coming from the emitter. The dripline is rated at 0.5gph at 10 and 15psi
and 0.68gph at 20 and 25psi. Unless I am totally not getting it - any of my
pressure regulators 25, 15, or 10 should not be yielding these results -
none of the above should be resulting in a "jet" of water. I thought perhaps
the dripline was a "defective roll" so I tried another roll and same
results.

Old 02-07-2006, 11:47 PM posted to rec.gardens
Matthew Reed

"Zook" wrote in message
"Not@home" wrote in message
Is the stream coming from an emitter, or from the end of the drip line?

Its coming from the emitter. The dripline is rated at 0.5gph at 10 and
15psi and 0.68gph at 20 and 25psi. Unless I am totally not getting it -
any of my pressure regulators 25, 15, or 10 should not be yielding these
results - none of the above should be resulting in a "jet" of water. I
thought perhaps the dripline was a "defective roll" so I tried another
roll and same results.

Many cheap plastic regulators will over-pressure if the volume going through
them is low. Are you using a pressure guage so that you know for sure what
your pressure is? I would get a pressure guage, and a use manually
adjustable regulator- they are not expensive. Make sure the pressure really
is what you think it is.

Old 04-07-2006, 04:34 AM posted to rec.gardens
BB

"Zook" wrote in
:

sorry, should have said - the dripline has pressure compensating
emitters every 12 inches.

Sounds like a 1/4" soaker line. And, actually, those aren't Pressure
compensating emitters. Pressure Compensating emitters sit either at the
end of a 1/4" line or in the 1/2" distribution line; they have a barbed
fitting on only one side, the other one is smooth. From what you
describe, those are regular 1/2 gallon per hour inline emitters. And,
yes, they *do* sorta spray out rather than drip and I don't think the PSI
matters a whit.

What I've done to sort of control the spray is to put either the stake
holding the line in front of the hole in the emitter to interrupt the
spray. The water then drips down the stake and into the ground where it
should go.

As far as I know, the only way to get them to actually drip is to remove
them and replace as the diagram he

BEFO
O = Emitters
--- = 1/4" line

----O----O----O----O----O----O----(end)

AFTER:

O O O O O O --Emitters
----+----+----+----+----+----+ --1/4" line
+ = Barbed T Fitting

But that's a lot of work. Either try to arrange the spray to where you
want it to go or stick something solid in front of the hole and in the
path of the spray.

--Bryan

* Can't see the Forest | Bryan B. *
* Through the Trees? | Reply if you want. E-mail *
* Take it out! | address changes frequently *
* (Damn Viruses!) | to foil spambots. *
Old 05-07-2006, 12:53 PM posted to rec.gardens
lawnmower_man80

According with the other comment, in my opinion you are not using
self-compensating drippers with the appropiate pressure. If you click
in the link I am enclosing, you could find a table with specifications
for this kind of drippers, I hope they will be interesting to you.

http://www.plasgotirrigation.com/sel...ingdripper.htm

Bye!!

Zook ha escrito:

I installed drip irrigation and need some help with a problem.

I have (from faucet) backflow preventer, filter, pressure regular, hose
thread to 1/2" poly tubing.

The 1/2 polytubing is the distribution and runs about 80 ft. There are about
30 places where I have 1/4 dripline coming off and running to plants. Each
run of 1/4 is 4 ft max. The dripline is rated to 30psi and I used a 25 PSI
regulator.

So, turn on the water and instead of the 1/4 drip line dripping - it sprays
water 3 ft in the air.

I change to a 15PSI regulator - same deal, water sprays a little less but
still shooting a stream and not dripping.

I change to a 10PSI regulator- same deal.

What have I done wrong, why is this stuff spraying and not dripping?

Thanks for any help.

[IMG] code is On

Roses Fertilizing and Drip Irrigation Jon Boehm Roses 8 21-03-2011 06:28 PM
Source for Raindrip Drip-A-long drip hose? [email protected] Gardening 0 29-04-2007 05:59 PM
Drip Irrigation and Roses. Dennis Australia 1 10-02-2004 03:23 AM
drip irrigation for lawns br Texas 1 15-04-2003 09:56 PM
AYTOK Drip Irrigation Equipments , Presents its Products... Tokmak Gardening 0 31-03-2003 01:44 PM