Old 05-07-2006, 09:35 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
David Hare-Scott

Default Best way to kill Bamboo?

"Harry Chickpea" wrote in message
My garden is infested with bamboo. The stuff grows at an incredible

rate,

I would rototill to expose the roots, remove those, then cover the
area with black plastic and let them die of lack of water and sun and
too much heat.

It won't happen. The part right under the plastic may (or may not) die,
some will very probably survive and pop up, maybe right through the plastic.
I am not kidding, I have seen it pop up through asphalt in my neighbour's
yard - he was not impressed. The rest that you cannot see will pop up where
ever it can. Or you will kill your whole garden with the plastic and the
bamboo will survive.

The only way that I have done it is to trace each and every root from its
shoots and physically pull it up. This took months as every time I thought
I had it beaten a new bit came up.

The moral of the story is: be careful what you plant, it might grow quite
well.

David