Old 04-07-2006, 07:13 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
General Schvantzkoph

Default Best way to kill Bamboo?

My garden is infested with bamboo. The stuff grows at an incredible rate,
as much as a foot a day. I've been spraying it with Roundup but that
isn't working. The leaves that have been sprayed turn brown but it's not
stopping new plants from springing up. Does anyone have any ideas? Can I
get agent orange anywhere?
Old 04-07-2006, 07:16 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article ,
General Schvantzkoph wrote:

My garden is infested with bamboo. The stuff grows at an incredible rate,
as much as a foot a day. I've been spraying it with Roundup but that
isn't working. The leaves that have been sprayed turn brown but it's not
stopping new plants from springing up. Does anyone have any ideas? Can I
get agent orange anywhere?

2-4-D

;-)

Seriously, you are probably going to have to take the effort to dig it
all up.
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson
Old 04-07-2006, 11:39 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
TQ

"General Schvantzkoph" wrote in message
news
My garden is infested with bamboo. The stuff grows at an incredible rate,
as much as a foot a day. I've been spraying it with Roundup but that
isn't working. The leaves that have been sprayed turn brown but it's not
stopping new plants from springing up. Does anyone have any ideas? Can I
get agent orange anywhere?

Persistence will pay off b/c bamboo is one tough customer. It won/t go away
with a single treatment, so keep at it, General.

Old 05-07-2006, 12:48 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
The Cook

On Tue, 04 Jul 2006 14:13:21 -0400, General Schvantzkoph
wrote:

My garden is infested with bamboo. The stuff grows at an incredible rate,
as much as a foot a day. I've been spraying it with Roundup but that
isn't working. The leaves that have been sprayed turn brown but it's not
stopping new plants from springing up. Does anyone have any ideas? Can I
get agent orange anywhere?

A friend of ours got rid of a bad infestation by cutting the plants
near the ground and then putting Roundup down in them. I think he got
a syringe to inject the Roundup. May take a while but keep at it.
--
Susan N.

Old 05-07-2006, 01:03 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Harry Chickpea

wrote:

My garden is infested with bamboo. The stuff grows at an incredible rate,
as much as a foot a day. I've been spraying it with Roundup but that
isn't working. The leaves that have been sprayed turn brown but it's not
stopping new plants from springing up. Does anyone have any ideas? Can I
get agent orange anywhere?

A friend of ours got rid of a bad infestation by cutting the plants
near the ground and then putting Roundup down in them. I think he got
a syringe to inject the Roundup. May take a while but keep at it.

I would rototill to expose the roots, remove those, then cover the
area with black plastic and let them die of lack of water and sun and
too much heat. Of course, the other answer is to smother them in
kudzu....

Old 05-07-2006, 09:35 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
David Hare-Scott

"Harry Chickpea" wrote in message
My garden is infested with bamboo. The stuff grows at an incredible

rate,

I would rototill to expose the roots, remove those, then cover the
area with black plastic and let them die of lack of water and sun and
too much heat.

It won't happen. The part right under the plastic may (or may not) die,
some will very probably survive and pop up, maybe right through the plastic.
I am not kidding, I have seen it pop up through asphalt in my neighbour's
yard - he was not impressed. The rest that you cannot see will pop up where
ever it can. Or you will kill your whole garden with the plastic and the
bamboo will survive.

The only way that I have done it is to trace each and every root from its
shoots and physically pull it up. This took months as every time I thought
I had it beaten a new bit came up.

The moral of the story is: be careful what you plant, it might grow quite
well.

David

Old 05-07-2006, 01:31 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
General Schvantzkoph

On Tue, 04 Jul 2006 18:39:17 -0400, TQ wrote:

"General Schvantzkoph" wrote in message
news
My garden is infested with bamboo. The stuff grows at an incredible rate,
as much as a foot a day. I've been spraying it with Roundup but that
isn't working. The leaves that have been sprayed turn brown but it's not
stopping new plants from springing up. Does anyone have any ideas? Can I
get agent orange anywhere?

Persistence will pay off b/c bamboo is one tough customer. It won/t go away
with a single treatment, so keep at it, General.

Will Roundup kill the roots or is pulling the stuff out the only solution?
I've been spraying every few days. I pull a few of them but mostly I've
just sprayed because I want the Roundup to travel through the plants and
into the roots. Am I wasting my time with the Roundup?

Old 05-07-2006, 02:40 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Dave

General Schvantzkoph wrote:
My garden is infested with bamboo. The stuff grows at an incredible rate,
as much as a foot a day. I've been spraying it with Roundup but that
isn't working. The leaves that have been sprayed turn brown but it's not
stopping new plants from springing up. Does anyone have any ideas? Can I
get agent orange anywhere?

If you dig up all the roots then what happens? My neighbor has a patch
that is headed into my yard. I keep the shoots broken off but I know I
have roots underground.

Old 06-07-2006, 12:38 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
TQ

[...]

The way I understand how Roundup works is it/s absorbed through the leaves
and travels to the roots.

I use Roundup in the spring to control Sweet Gum seedlings on my lot.
Roundup is fast acting on weeds, but it takes a few weeks before I see the
leaves turn brown on the young trees.

Old 23-03-2011, 05:59 PM
Registered User

Part of the rights under the plastic may (or may not) die, some will probably survive, and the pop-up, perhaps through the plastic. I'm not joking, I've seen pop up through the asphalt of my neighbor's yard - he was not impressed. The rest, you can not see where there will be ever can.
Pond Supplies