Old 06-07-2006, 11:28 PM posted to rec.gardens
Philip Lewis

Default Root Beer Plant

"Tom or Mary" writes:
Hoja Santa (Piper auritum) Root Beer Plant.
Pittsburgh,PA was wondering if I planted it outside would it come back the
next year, or should I plant it in a pot, and bring it inside for the

Hi Tom!
A google search:
http://www.google.com/search?q=%28%2...um% 22%29zone
Yielded several conflicting results: 10, 8b, 7.
We were zone 5/6 until recently, we'ce since been moved to 6a (IIRC)
so in all cases, we're too cold.

You *might* be able to get by if you had a southern exposure high heat
retention level microclimate (stone/brick wall sheltered from wind)
but I wouldn't count on it. Best bet is to pot it up and bring it in
in mid/late fall.

Where did you get it?
(sounds like a neat plant... and i like root beer.

--
May no harm befall you,
flip (Ingram PA)