Old 07-07-2006, 12:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle

Default Heavy watering cans are inefficient and bad for your back

JennyC wrote:
wrote in message

[...]
What's needed is a portable reservoir (preferably carried on the back)
connected to a long rigid tube attachment tipped with a pointed metal
nozzle. You would simply penetrate the soil around the plant with
the tip and squeeze a spray trigger to inject a standard amount of
water directly into the soil. The tube would push through the foliage
and you could do a lot of plants quickly without having to bend down
all the time to see what you were doing.

It sounds so obvious but I haven't seen anything like this. Does
anyone know if a gadget like this is available?
Ken Cohen

You can get backpack type sprays for weedkiller etc. Maybe you could use one
of those?
Try farm suppliers ..........
Jenny

It would take a long time to water a plant thoroughly at the delivery
rate of a pesticide sprayer, and all that putting down and refilling
and pumping up and slinging onto the shoulders again would give my back
a lot more grief than repeated use of a watering can. And presumably
the few plants which actually _need_ watering in most areas are
shallow-rooted, so at sufficient pressure to do it reasonably quickly,
I imagine it'd do a lot of damage. If you want to shoot water into one
spot (maybe not a good idea, but it's not my garden), what's wrong with
just taking the rose off the can and taking more or less careful aim?
Or am I, as regrettably often, missing the point?

--
Mike.