Old 06-07-2006, 08:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Heavy watering cans are inefficient and bad for your back

When you've got lots of closely planted thriving plants with thick
foliage and flowers, it can be pretty slow, hard and careful work
bending and gently pushing through the "jungle canopy" to see the
small patch of soil around the base of the plant where you actually
need to direct the stream of water from your watering can - rather
than wasting it on the leaves, which can't absorb it anyway. Even
when the water reaches the soil, you wonder how much is going to
evaporate, and whether it's reaching the root system of your particular
plant.

What's needed is a portable reservoir (preferably carried on the back)
connected to a long rigid tube attachment tipped with a pointed metal
nozzle. You would simply penetrate the soil around the plant with
the tip and squeeze a spray trigger to inject a standard amount of
water directly into the soil. The tube would push through the foliage
and you could do a lot of plants quickly without having to bend down
all the time to see what you were doing.

It sounds so obvious but I haven't seen anything like this. Does
anyone know if a gadget like this is available?

Ken Cohen

Old 06-07-2006, 08:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
JennyC

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

You can get backpack type sprays for weedkiller etc. Maybe you could use one
of those?
Try farm suppliers ..........
Jenny

Old 06-07-2006, 08:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Brian

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

~~~~~~~~~~
The foliage of all plants directs water flow to where it is most needed.
This is a natural secondary function of leaves and is most obvious during
rain. Accordingly watering on the leaves seems quite the best solution.
Best Wishes Brian.

Old 06-07-2006, 10:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
shazzbat

"Brian" --- 'flayb' to respond wrote in message

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

What he said. Plus, when the soil is covered by the foliage it keeps cooler
and moister for far longer.

Steve

Old 07-07-2006, 12:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle

JennyC wrote:
wrote in message

[...]
What's needed is a portable reservoir (preferably carried on the back)
connected to a long rigid tube attachment tipped with a pointed metal
nozzle. You would simply penetrate the soil around the plant with
the tip and squeeze a spray trigger to inject a standard amount of
water directly into the soil. The tube would push through the foliage
and you could do a lot of plants quickly without having to bend down
all the time to see what you were doing.

It sounds so obvious but I haven't seen anything like this. Does
anyone know if a gadget like this is available?
Ken Cohen

You can get backpack type sprays for weedkiller etc. Maybe you could use one
of those?
Try farm suppliers ..........
Jenny

It would take a long time to water a plant thoroughly at the delivery
rate of a pesticide sprayer, and all that putting down and refilling
and pumping up and slinging onto the shoulders again would give my back
a lot more grief than repeated use of a watering can. And presumably
the few plants which actually _need_ watering in most areas are
shallow-rooted, so at sufficient pressure to do it reasonably quickly,
I imagine it'd do a lot of damage. If you want to shoot water into one
spot (maybe not a good idea, but it's not my garden), what's wrong with
just taking the rose off the can and taking more or less careful aim?
Or am I, as regrettably often, missing the point?

--
Mike.

Old 07-07-2006, 01:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
H Ryder

you can get various devices fro carrying water in a back Pac to drink - try
any outdoor or cycling site - but they only seem to go up to 3 litres.

--
Hayley
(gardening on well drained, alkaline clay in Somerset)

Old 07-07-2006, 05:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
JW

Ken,

Just a thought & a few questions,

Why use a heavy watering can surely your using a light one?

Ohh you mean when you fill it with water
Make sure its a good brand, (I recomend Hawes) or at least well
balanced. Minimum weight then, if you can't deal with it, infvest in a
drip feed watering system or some porus hosing that will distribute the
water to the roots.

However we look forward to seeing your invention at an affordable price,
in garden centres soon!

Oh & if you've got a bad back & are anywhere near North London, I can
recommend an excellent physio.

My Blog at: http://www.livejournal.com/users/sw33tf00l/
Old 07-07-2006, 08:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Brian wrote:

The foliage of all plants directs water flow to where it is most needed.

That's an interesting proposition but I'm not convinced. Can you give
some examples to support your argument, Brian?

Ken

Old 07-07-2006, 08:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\)

wrote in message
oups.com...

Brian wrote:

The foliage of all plants directs water flow to where it is most
needed.

That's an interesting proposition but I'm not convinced. Can you give
some examples to support your argument, Brian?

Ken

It's a fact not a proposition and I am certain Brian will explain

Old 07-07-2006, 10:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Mike Lyle wrote:

If you want to shoot water into one
spot (maybe not a good idea, but it's not my garden), what's wrong with
just taking the rose off the can and taking more or less careful aim?

Yes, that's what I'm doing at the moment, but it's unsatisfactory.
It's very difficult to control the flow - you end up sloshing it
around, especially if you're having to extend your arm, and so you
waste a lot of water.

Ken

Old 07-07-2006, 10:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Brian wrote:

The foliage of all plants directs water flow to where it is most needed.

Even if this were true, the total quantity of water which reaches the
place where it is most needed is surely reduced by foliage. So in
dry weather, or when the amount of water available is otherwise
limited, there may still be good reason to deliver water directly to
where it is most needed in the soil, rather than delivering it as
run-off from the foliage.

Ken

Old 08-07-2006, 11:48 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle

wrote:
Brian wrote:

The foliage of all plants directs water flow to where it is most needed.

Even if this were true, the total quantity of water which reaches the
place where it is most needed is surely reduced by foliage. So in
dry weather, or when the amount of water available is otherwise
limited, there may still be good reason to deliver water directly to
where it is most needed in the soil, rather than delivering it as
run-off from the foliage.

I don't think we can compare artificial watering, delivering a tiny
quantity, with rain, which can deliver amounts measurable in tons over
a wide area. I suspect that when it rains leaves act not so much to put
the water where it's wanted as to keep it away from where it's not
wanted: to prevent soil erosion by heavy rain in the immediate root
zone. In nature, rain relatively evenly moistens the soil in the
"field" as a whole.

Many or most garden plants aren't growing in the conditions for which
natural selection has suited them, and, of course, most garden forms
aren't the product of natural selection at all. So we have to maintain
the artificial environment, which may sometimes include watering. As a
crude general rule I'm not a fan of watering, but when it's necessary I
do agree it's more economical to water the soil rather than the plant.
But if it hurts your back, just stop doing it, and if need be grow
something else.

--
Mike.

Old 08-07-2006, 01:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Brian

wrote in message
ups.com...
Brian wrote:

The foliage of all plants directs water flow to where it is most

needed.

Even if this were true, the total quantity of water which reaches the
place where it is most needed is surely reduced by foliage. So in
dry weather, or when the amount of water available is otherwise
limited, there may still be good reason to deliver water directly to
where it is most needed in the soil, rather than delivering it as
run-off from the foliage.

Ken]

~~~~~~~~
The foliage cannot reduce the water reaching the soil. The leaves direct
the water to the root hairs. It migt be easier to think that the new roots
,with their hairs, grow towards the readily available water~~ which is where
the leaves have deposited it. Directly under a tree can be totally dry but
the rain actually falls/drains to where the roots have their absorption
zone. Because it is dry under the tree does not mean that less is reaching
the tree. Just that all the rain is being directed to where needed.
Best Wishes Brian.

Old 08-07-2006, 02:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Brian wrote:

The foliage cannot reduce the water reaching the soil.

I question that. If you water the plant from above, some of the
water is going to stay on the leaves and then evaporate, rather than
dripping onto the ground.

Ken

Old 08-07-2006, 11:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\)

wrote in message
ups.com...

Brian wrote:

The foliage cannot reduce the water reaching the soil.

I question that. If you water the plant from above, some of the
water is going to stay on the leaves and then evaporate, rather than
dripping onto the ground.

Ken

Not wishing to get too academic about this but if the leaves are wet then
the rate of transpiration will slow and the amount of water needed at the
roots is reduced, hence the technique of misting plant leaves.
Given a finite amount of water then putting it at root level may be best but
how do you know where is the best spot? Do you water the root crown or the
root perimeter?
The best example I can think of where a plant directs water exactly where
needed is Gunnera. Every drop of water is funnelled off the waterproof
leaves
directly down the stalk and bang on the root crown.