Old 07-07-2006, 01:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Old Codger

Default Replacing Old Lawn - Best Way To Do It?

Chris Hogg wrote:
On 5 Jul 2006 04:17:35 -0700, "Old Codger"
wrote:

Hi,

I want to replace the lawn (mostly weeds and moss) in my front garden
with a new layout consisting of low-maintenance shrubs and low
conifers, areas with pebbles, etc. Should I dig out the old lawn
entirely and put some of that perforated sheeting that stops weeds and
new topsoil? Or is there another way?

Any ideas welcome, I know nothing!

Thanks

O.C.

Some suggestions:

Cover with a light-impermeable barrier such as old carpet, cardboard
packaging or black polythene, all weighted down to stop the wind
blowing it away. Leave for a few months and the grass and weeds
underneath will all be dead and ready for digging over, planting etc.

Spray with glyphosate. Grass etc. will all be dead in a couple of
weeks and ready for digging over, planting etc.

Cover with light-impermeable horticultural fabric (keeps light out,
suppresses weeds but lets water through). Cut holes for conifers and
other shrubs. Put down pebbles etc where wanted and cover remainder
with 5 cm minimum thickness of shredded bark mulch.

--
Chris

Excellent! Thank you.

I have looked up glyphosate and there appears to be some problem with
it's retention in the soil. I want to plant shrubs etc after
application, will this be a problem?

All being OK I will try something like that and then, when the ground
has been turned over, apply the horticultural fabric to prevent any
future weed growth, perhaps a layer of topsoil on top will improve the
appearance as well.

Thanks for your help

O.C.