Old 07-07-2006, 01:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Charlie Pridham

Default Hampton Court Flower Show

"Sacha" wrote in message
On 7/7/06 08:30, in article , "June
Hughes" wrote:

In message , Sacha
writes

It's a fair hike from here but we did stay at a hotel which is bang

opposite
the entrance, so that made it a bit easier! However, it also makes it an
expensive 'outing'. OTOH, we had two nights 'holiday' and spent 7 hours

at
the show, visiting the Palace next day and a nursery near Richmond. I
haven't been there since I was about 8! But no, it really isn't viable

for
us to take a stand at such a show. It would be outrageously expensive in
terms of getting stuff up there to display, then more stuff to sell and
accommodation for us and/or our nursery staff. I think that for nurseries
that do mail order, it's probably worth it if their operation is large
enough. But as we don't do mail order and don't want to, it wouldn't

really
do us much good. Exhibiting at local shows seems to be more commercial

use
to us and we may well do the Devon and Cornwall shows next year.

We went to the Royal Norfolk Show last Thursday, which was great but too
hot. It is more livestock based. Can't have everything.

That sounds like our County Show but we did find a lot of people came
through the floral marquee and quite a few new customers have turned up on
the basis that they saw us there.

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

If you do do Royal Cornwall It would be great to see you, its one of only 2
we do each year (this year was our 15th year!)
We got invited to Hampton Court (Heritage tent) but declined for much the
same reasons as you stated. We worked out we would have to sell all our
plants to make it worth while, which sounds good but of course we do all our
own so would then be sat twiddling our thumbs the rest of the year and
annoying local customers!!

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk