Old 06-07-2006, 11:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

Default Hampton Court Flower Show

We got back today, having spent all of yesterday at the Show. We thought
the 'Volvo garden' absolutely lovely, really beautiful. Has anyone else
been yet?
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 06-07-2006, 11:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
p.k.

Sacha wrote:
We got back today, having spent all of yesterday at the Show. We
thought the 'Volvo garden' absolutely lovely, really beautiful. Has
anyone else been yet?

I agree, the Volvo Garden was very good indeed.

The best bit of the show? The liquorice stall in the
Homes and Gardens pavilion, I was like errm, a kiddie in a sweetie shop!

No seriously, a very good show this year. The gardens were of a better
standard than of late and the contrast to Chelsea is so good - space to walk
in comfort, space and time to see the exhibits properly..

pk

Old 07-07-2006, 08:30 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
June Hughes

In message , Sacha
writes
We got back today, having spent all of yesterday at the Show. We thought
the 'Volvo garden' absolutely lovely, really beautiful. Has anyone else
been yet?

I am rather ashamed to say that you came all the way from Devon and I
haven't been to the show from here, which is only a reasonable distance
away - not sure how far to Hampton Court but it is quite awkward to get
to. Chris, who used to post here years ago, had a stand there for a
couple of shows. I can't remember her last name, even though we used to
correspond by email. Perhaps someone else can remember. Are you going
to consider taking a stand there in the future?

We went to the Royal Norfolk Show last Thursday, which was great but too
hot. It is more livestock based. Can't have everything.
--
June Hughes
Old 07-07-2006, 09:11 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

On 7/7/06 08:30, in article , "June
Hughes" wrote:

In message , Sacha
writes
We got back today, having spent all of yesterday at the Show. We thought
the 'Volvo garden' absolutely lovely, really beautiful. Has anyone else
been yet?

I am rather ashamed to say that you came all the way from Devon and I
haven't been to the show from here, which is only a reasonable distance
away - not sure how far to Hampton Court but it is quite awkward to get
to. Chris, who used to post here years ago, had a stand there for a
couple of shows. I can't remember her last name, even though we used to
correspond by email. Perhaps someone else can remember. Are you going
to consider taking a stand there in the future?

It's a fair hike from here but we did stay at a hotel which is bang opposite
the entrance, so that made it a bit easier! However, it also makes it an
expensive 'outing'. OTOH, we had two nights 'holiday' and spent 7 hours at
the show, visiting the Palace next day and a nursery near Richmond. I
haven't been there since I was about 8! But no, it really isn't viable for
us to take a stand at such a show. It would be outrageously expensive in
terms of getting stuff up there to display, then more stuff to sell and
accommodation for us and/or our nursery staff. I think that for nurseries
that do mail order, it's probably worth it if their operation is large
enough. But as we don't do mail order and don't want to, it wouldn't really
do us much good. Exhibiting at local shows seems to be more commercial use
to us and we may well do the Devon and Cornwall shows next year.

We went to the Royal Norfolk Show last Thursday, which was great but too
hot. It is more livestock based. Can't have everything.

That sounds like our County Show but we did find a lot of people came
through the floral marquee and quite a few new customers have turned up on
the basis that they saw us there.

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 07-07-2006, 01:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Charlie Pridham

"Sacha" wrote in message
On 7/7/06 08:30, in article , "June
Hughes" wrote:

In message , Sacha
writes

[...]

If you do do Royal Cornwall It would be great to see you, its one of only 2
we do each year (this year was our 15th year!)
We got invited to Hampton Court (Heritage tent) but declined for much the
same reasons as you stated. We worked out we would have to sell all our
plants to make it worth while, which sounds good but of course we do all our
own so would then be sat twiddling our thumbs the rest of the year and
annoying local customers!!

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 07-07-2006, 06:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Paul Corfield

On Thu, 06 Jul 2006 23:00:17 +0100, Sacha wrote:

We got back today, having spent all of yesterday at the Show. We thought
the 'Volvo garden' absolutely lovely, really beautiful. Has anyone else
been yet?

I go tomorrow. The Volvo garden looked splendid on the telly last
night. I'm also delighted to see that Medwyns of Anglesey who do the
amazing fruit and veg stand, that got the Tudor Rose, are exhibiting.
They've opted not to do Chelsea any more so I thought I would never see
an exhibit from them - I'm looking forward to that.

--
Paul C
Old 07-07-2006, 09:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sacha writes:

We got back today, having spent all of yesterday at the Show. We thought
the 'Volvo garden' absolutely lovely, really beautiful. Has anyone else
been yet?

I went on tuesday and am trying to work out how to do a version of the
"Solar Eclipse" garden. I wasn't so keen on the planting round the
back, I'd want less purple and the site I have in mind backs into a
largeish pine, but the structure was wonderful. I did wonder how long
it would take to learn not to lean back on the seat and put your arms
out along the back though.

Anthony

Old 07-07-2006, 11:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

On 7/7/06 18:04, in article ,
"Paul Corfield" wrote:

On Thu, 06 Jul 2006 23:00:17 +0100, Sacha wrote:

We got back today, having spent all of yesterday at the Show. We thought
the 'Volvo garden' absolutely lovely, really beautiful. Has anyone else
been yet?

I go tomorrow. The Volvo garden looked splendid on the telly last
night. I'm also delighted to see that Medwyns of Anglesey who do the
amazing fruit and veg stand, that got the Tudor Rose, are exhibiting.
They've opted not to do Chelsea any more so I thought I would never see
an exhibit from them - I'm looking forward to that.

It took my breath away. I don't think I've ever seen anything so perfectly
executed and you will have seen that Medwyn male is ill so Medwyn female has
been in charge with his sickbed input. It's a triumph beyond belief. When
you look at it, you'd swear those vegetables were made of china and
suspended for your enjoyment.
In no way is this a criticism but I had the impression that the marking was
very strict - very. There's nothing wrong with that, IMO but some that I
would have sworn would get a gold got a Silver Gilt or a Silver and some got
a Bronze. To be marked at all is an honour but the choices are extremely
stringent, IMO and will, I hope be reflected at Chelsea next year.
One particular exhibit which I liked very much didn't receive the award I -
in my ignorance - would have expected but when I mentioned this to Ray, he
pointed out that none of the plants in a block planting weren't in flower to
demonstrate their potential. Such very small details can result in a lower
award or even none. But the work put into all these displays justifies some
kind of pat on the back in itself, IMO. They were just glorious.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk