Old 08-07-2006, 03:04 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Tom The Great

Default Newbie Question - How to start growing roses?

On Sat, 08 Jul 2006 03:57:52 GMT, "Winston Smith"
wrote:

I like roses too, especially the ones that come from the flower shop. I've
learned that roses can be a high maintenance plant after planting a bush in
my backyard garden. It does OK sitting there with the other plants but
isn't nearly what I expected. You have to really coax and baby them to get
flower shop quality blooms. I prefer plants and flowers to just need a
little water, sunlight and some occasional fertilizer. There are many out
there that are very pretty and don't require as much attention. If roses
are really your thing then I say, "Good luck". If you're just looking for
some pretty flowers to grow you might want to think about it again.

I told my Wifey about my intentions. She laughed, and walked off.

Not feeling the love.

I've been looking at varities, and the number are overwelming. Stilll
looking, and to add to the problems, I live in a Japanese Beetle hot
spot.

later,

tom @ www.FindMeShelter.com

"Tom The Great" wrote in message
.. .
Hello Everyone,

I live in the North Eastern Part of Pa. I have NO Roses, but thought
it would be cool to turn a bland area of my yard into a rose area. I
like roses, just have never grown them, and not really sure where to
start. I've done a few searches, and only found 'tips' not really a
newbie guide.

little help?

Thank you,

tom