Old 07-07-2006, 10:17 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Tom The Great

Default Newbie Question - How to start growing roses?

Hello Everyone,

I live in the North Eastern Part of Pa. I have NO Roses, but thought
it would be cool to turn a bland area of my yard into a rose area. I
like roses, just have never grown them, and not really sure where to
start. I've done a few searches, and only found 'tips' not really a
newbie guide.

little help?

Thank you,

tom
Old 07-07-2006, 10:30 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Srgnt Billko

"Tom The Great" wrote in message
Hello Everyone,

I live in the North Eastern Part of Pa. I have NO Roses, but thought
it would be cool to turn a bland area of my yard into a rose area. I
like roses, just have never grown them, and not really sure where to
start. I've done a few searches, and only found 'tips' not really a
newbie guide.

little help?

Thank you,

tom

There's a lot to it - look for a local adult education type class or join a
garden club. When you buy a rose bush it usually comes with directions on
how to plant it. ie how deep to dig hole, mounding dirt in bottom and
spreading roots out, how deep the plant should go, etc But what to trim,
how to cut, what fertilizers to use when - all more critical with roses than
with most plants.

Old 08-07-2006, 04:57 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Winston Smith

I like roses too, especially the ones that come from the flower shop. I've
learned that roses can be a high maintenance plant after planting a bush in
my backyard garden. It does OK sitting there with the other plants but
isn't nearly what I expected. You have to really coax and baby them to get
flower shop quality blooms. I prefer plants and flowers to just need a
little water, sunlight and some occasional fertilizer. There are many out
there that are very pretty and don't require as much attention. If roses
are really your thing then I say, "Good luck". If you're just looking for
some pretty flowers to grow you might want to think about it again.

Old 08-07-2006, 03:04 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Tom The Great

On Sat, 08 Jul 2006 03:57:52 GMT, "Winston Smith"
wrote:

I like roses too, especially the ones that come from the flower shop. I've
learned that roses can be a high maintenance plant after planting a bush in
my backyard garden. It does OK sitting there with the other plants but
isn't nearly what I expected. You have to really coax and baby them to get
flower shop quality blooms. I prefer plants and flowers to just need a
little water, sunlight and some occasional fertilizer. There are many out
there that are very pretty and don't require as much attention. If roses
are really your thing then I say, "Good luck". If you're just looking for
some pretty flowers to grow you might want to think about it again.

I told my Wifey about my intentions. She laughed, and walked off.

Not feeling the love.

I've been looking at varities, and the number are overwelming. Stilll
looking, and to add to the problems, I live in a Japanese Beetle hot
spot.

later,

tom @ www.FindMeShelter.com

.. .

Old 11-07-2006, 03:28 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
JimR

Tom -- While there are lots of types of roses and many of them take quite a
bit of care, you don't have to obsess over it.

If you want to grow florist quality roses you'll get involved in questions
of soils, black spot and other diseases, appropriate root stock,
fertilizers, spraying schedules, etc.

Instead, I'd suggest you start with easy-to-grow varieties, that may not
have the fine points of patented hybrid tea roses, but which will provide
color and fragrance. There are a few heritage roses that have done well for
over one hundred years, which many nurseries will have. However, I'd
suggest you find a local nursery (or even a big-box home store) that carries
the "Knock Out" variety, a bush rose. Make sure your soil is reasonably
fertile, plant the roses, and just deadhead the blossoms after they flower.

Knock Out gives you both color (red or pink) and fragrance and seem to do
well under almost any conditions with little or no care. Regards --

Old 11-07-2006, 06:46 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Merle O'Broham

I told my Wifey about my intentions. She laughed, and walked off.

Not feeling the love.

Any chance you have a wife (also) that loves your projects only when
they're completed? ;-)

Old 12-07-2006, 04:33 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Uleetsa Moscowa

Ok- Here is what I have been learnt - This may not be entirely correct. But
with this advice, lots of hard work and some good luck- you will be able to
grow good looking roses .
1) Select an area that has full sun at least 6 hours in a day
2) Select an area that has good drianage.
3) Select an area that has good air flow. (don't plant next to a wall)
4) Prepare the soil- Dig at least foot and half (deeper the better) and
mix peat moss and any horse manure (if you can). If you have lousy clay
soil (like i do), you would need to add more vegetable matter like peat moss
and manure. I was too lazy - I ordered some 'potting soil- pre mixed with
manure".
5) Make holes that are at least 2 times the size of the root ball. If you
are buying bare root roses- the hole with good soil must be atleat 1and half
feet in diameter. Put some 6-6-6 balanced fetiliser at teh bottom of the
hole. place the plant and fill the hole with dirt and pack it properly so
that there are no air pockets.
6) Plant the roses at least 2 feet apart (3 is better). Do not be tempted to
put more plants in a small space. (I was greedy and planted closer - only to
later move them out).
7) Once you plant them- water them regularly. Feed weekly once with a
foliage fertilizer like MG
8) Do not water in the evenings- Water the plant only in the morning. If you
water in the evenings- the damp leaves develop problems.
9) Purchase a sprayer and a rose (for black spot problem) spray concentrate.
Mix a small portion as per instructions and spray the plant every 10 days at
least once. Roses have too many problems. And you must keep them clean and
medicated.
10) Rose plants react to pruning more than any other plant that i have
experience with. There are a few thumb rules in pruning. First of all - cuts
must be made outward) at 45 degrees (slant cut). The cut should be above a
strong thorn that is facing outward (it is called a node or some such thing-
they have some fancy names among rose growers). Cut of branches that are
over lapping and growing inward. Cut off all growth that starts at the
bottom root crown.
11) After flowering, remove the flower as it begins to fade by cutting at
the stem.
12) Remove any cuttings- fallen leaves- pruned branches from the vicinity of
the plant.
13) you can cut roses with long stems- but remmber to cut at the node facing
outward
14) FALL TIME: I live in Ohio- Cincinnati area- same zone i think. These
roses will flower through september october. After the first frost hits,
clean all the debris around the base. Cover it with some mulch. and the let
the rose bush sit through the winter.
15) EARLY SPRING: When the yellow flowers (forsythia) show up around the
neighborhood - or the dogwoods begin to blossom, add one cup epsom slat and
one cup 6-6-6 balaced fetiliser to the base of the 'DEAD LOOKING ROSE BUSH".
Prune all the ugly looking branches. remember always cut at an angle. cut
towards the outside. cut above a node.
16) COMPANION PLANTS: Roses like garlic and basil plants next to them as far
as my experience goes. If you want to minimize the diseases and healthy rose
plants i suggest you plant some galic cloves in the the fall and they will
sprout up with the rose bush. in teh summer time basil plants help reduce
diseases.
17) NO NEIGHBORS: Dont be tempted to plant other plants around roses- they
dont like neighbors.

JimR"
ink.net...

Old 12-07-2006, 06:12 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Tom The Great

On 11 Jul 2006 10:46:51 -0700, "Merle O'Broham"
wrote:

I told my Wifey about my intentions. She laughed, and walked off.

Not feeling the love.

Any chance you have a wife (also) that loves your projects only when
they're completed? ;-)

You mean I don't have the only one!!!?????!!!!!

:O

tom @ www.NoCostAds.com

Old 14-08-2006, 02:19 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Tom The Great wrote:

On 11 Jul 2006 10:46:51 -0700, "Merle O'Broham" wrote:

I told my Wifey about my intentions. She laughed, and walked off. Not feeling the love.

Any chance you have a wife (also) that loves your projects only when they're completed? ;-)

You mean I don't have the only one!!!?????!!!!! :O tom @
www.NoCostAds.com

No. You do not have the only one. I've only been married 8 months and my wife ain't happy about a LOT of stuff that I've started.