Old 08-07-2006, 04:07 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default spots on tomatoes

Wood ashes would work faster in supplying calcium, a good handfull
worked into the top inch of soil and then watered.
Your description was inadequate for diagnosis but many diseases of
tomato are caused by soil borne organisms splashing up onto the plants.
Mulch the plants to conserve moisture and prevent soil splashing up and
you will eliminate many causative factors. In addition water the ground
not the foliage.
Mindful wrote:
"Frank" wrote in message
oups.com...

M.E. wrote:
I just killed off my snails around my vegetable bed but I don't know if
they were the cause of the spots on my tomatoes. What else should I
suspect is going on? I have small brown spots on most of my tomatoes.
Harvesting my fruits/veggies has always been a downer since the fruit
is damaged. HELP Thank you in advance, ME

Could be blossom end rot which is calcium deficiency. I put a couple
of handfulls of limestone (calcium carbonate) around my tomatos to
prevent this.

Would bone meal work as well?