Old 07-07-2006, 07:25 PM posted to rec.gardens
M.E.

Default spots on tomatoes

I just killed off my snails around my vegetable bed but I don't know if
they were the cause of the spots on my tomatoes. What else should I
suspect is going on? I have small brown spots on most of my tomatoes.
Harvesting my fruits/veggies has always been a downer since the fruit
is damaged. HELP Thank you in advance, ME

Old 07-07-2006, 07:28 PM posted to rec.gardens
JoeSpareBedroom

"M.E." wrote in message
oups.com...
I just killed off my snails around my vegetable bed but I don't know if
they were the cause of the spots on my tomatoes. What else should I
suspect is going on? I have small brown spots on most of my tomatoes.
Harvesting my fruits/veggies has always been a downer since the fruit
is damaged. HELP Thank you in advance, ME

Are the tomatoes lying right on the soil?

Old 08-07-2006, 03:58 PM posted to rec.gardens
Mindful

"Frank" wrote in message
oups.com...

M.E. wrote:
I just killed off my snails around my vegetable bed but I don't know if
they were the cause of the spots on my tomatoes. What else should I
suspect is going on? I have small brown spots on most of my tomatoes.
Harvesting my fruits/veggies has always been a downer since the fruit
is damaged. HELP Thank you in advance, ME

Could be blossom end rot which is calcium deficiency. I put a couple
of handfulls of limestone (calcium carbonate) around my tomatos to
prevent this.

Would bone meal work as well?

Old 08-07-2006, 04:07 PM posted to rec.gardens

Wood ashes would work faster in supplying calcium, a good handfull
worked into the top inch of soil and then watered.
Your description was inadequate for diagnosis but many diseases of
tomato are caused by soil borne organisms splashing up onto the plants.
Mulch the plants to conserve moisture and prevent soil splashing up and
you will eliminate many causative factors. In addition water the ground
not the foliage.
Mindful wrote:
"Frank" wrote in message
oups.com...

Old 08-07-2006, 04:21 PM posted to rec.gardens
JoeSpareBedroom

wrote in message
oups.com...

.. many diseases of
tomato are caused by soil borne organisms splashing up onto the plants.
Mulch the plants to conserve moisture and prevent soil splashing up and
you will eliminate many causative factors. In addition water the ground
not the foliage.

This is the best reason of all for caging tomatoes, and not with the flimsy
stupid ones they sell in stores, but ones you build yourself, strong enough
to withstand rough weather and support plants whose weight is much greater
than it seems. Other than occasional cracking, and one tomato hornworm the
size of a Volkswagen, I haven't seen any tomato problems in 30 years.

Old 08-07-2006, 04:55 PM posted to rec.gardens
Frank

Mindful wrote:
"Frank" wrote in message
oups.com...

M.E. wrote:
I just killed off my snails around my vegetable bed but I don't know if
they were the cause of the spots on my tomatoes. What else should I
suspect is going on? I have small brown spots on most of my tomatoes.
Harvesting my fruits/veggies has always been a downer since the fruit
is damaged. HELP Thank you in advance, ME

Could be blossom end rot which is calcium deficiency. I put a couple
of handfulls of limestone (calcium carbonate) around my tomatos to
prevent this.

Would bone meal work as well?

Calcium source does not matter. Don't know the calcium content of bone
meal or wood ashes. Eggshells would work. But some sources are rapid
like the wood ash suggestion or lime. I prefer to take it slowly as
I've nearly killed tomato seedings by fertilizing too much.

[IMG] code is On

tomatoes have curled leaves and yellow spots Liashi Edible Gardening 11 18-07-2004 08:02 PM
Yellow Spots on Tomatoes Mark J Texas 1 30-05-2003 04:44 AM
black spots, Black Spots, BLACK SPOTS!!!!bbbbbblllllllaaaaacccckkkkkk ssspp Unique Too Roses 7 16-05-2003 04:08 AM
black spots, Black Spots, BLACK SPOTS!!!!bbbbbblllllllaaaaacccckkkkkk ssspppOOOTTTSSSS!!!!!! Roger Roses 6 12-05-2003 10:56 PM
black spots, Black Spots, BLACK SPOTS!!!!bbbbbblllllllaaaaacccckkkkkk Radika Kesavan Roses 0 11-05-2003 04:44 PM