Old 08-07-2006, 09:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Cladrastis sinensis

Janet Tweedy wrote:

That's a very tempting idea Bob, though I can't say the soil is very
well drained, just very dry! I might investigate that tree as well.

By the Abbey Church in Bourne there were two fine old trees, which had
to be felled some years ago. They were replaced with Paper-bark Maple,
Acer griseum, about 15 years ago. Those are now tall, majestic, and
provide good shade. I estimate the height at about 18 metres, they
were 4 metres when planted. Girth perhaps 0.8m, no more than 0.2 when
planted.

They are rooted into the paved area, with some of those steel radial
grids to provide a bit of open ground no more than a metre square. But
they are planted next to an tributry of the Eau, so they won't want for
water.