Old 09-07-2006, 06:08 AM posted to rec.gardens
sherwindu

Default Apple tree advice needed

My overall opinion based on the pictures is that there is nothing seriously
wrong
with this tree. I get curled leaves on some of my dwarf apple trees, and
although
unsightly, doesn't seem to be a danger to them.

To improve it's health, you may want to do some pruning to open up the tree,
although with a tree this big, it won't be easy and possibly not safe for you to
do
yourself. You might try and cut off any dead branches, as well. Also, keep it
from drying out during any drought periods. That's pretty much all you can do
as long as the tree has no diseases or insect infestation.

Sherwin D.

Matthew Reed wrote:

I have this huge old apple tree in my yard. Here are some pictures:

This is a pic of the top of one of the branches. Notice missing bark and
cracks:
http://zootal.no-ip.info/stuff/2006%...s/DSCF3743.jpg
http://zootal.no-ip.info/stuff/2006%...s/DSCF3744.jpg

Trunk:
http://zootal.no-ip.info/stuff/2006%...s/DSCF3745.jpg
http://zootal.no-ip.info/stuff/2006%...s/DSCF3746.jpg

Entire tree:
http://zootal.no-ip.info/stuff/2006%...s/DSCF3750.jpg

The pics may not really give a good indication of the tree's overall health.
The leaves are warped, curled slightly. No new growth. Apples look good, so
far. Some of the branches have missing bark and cracks. I'm not sure how
healthy it is or how long it will live. What can be done to maintain and
improve the health of an old tree like this?