Old 09-07-2006, 01:20 AM posted to rec.gardens
Matthew Reed

Default Apple tree advice needed

I have this huge old apple tree in my yard. Here are some pictures:

This is a pic of the top of one of the branches. Notice missing bark and
cracks:
http://zootal.no-ip.info/stuff/2006%...s/DSCF3743.jpg
http://zootal.no-ip.info/stuff/2006%...s/DSCF3744.jpg

Trunk:
http://zootal.no-ip.info/stuff/2006%...s/DSCF3745.jpg
http://zootal.no-ip.info/stuff/2006%...s/DSCF3746.jpg

Entire tree:
http://zootal.no-ip.info/stuff/2006%...s/DSCF3750.jpg

The pics may not really give a good indication of the tree's overall health.
The leaves are warped, curled slightly. No new growth. Apples look good, so
far. Some of the branches have missing bark and cracks. I'm not sure how
healthy it is or how long it will live. What can be done to maintain and
improve the health of an old tree like this?

Old 09-07-2006, 03:04 AM posted to rec.gardens
George Shirley

Matthew Reed wrote:
I have this huge old apple tree in my yard. Here are some pictures:

This is a pic of the top of one of the branches. Notice missing bark and
cracks:
http://zootal.no-ip.info/stuff/2006%...s/DSCF3743.jpg
http://zootal.no-ip.info/stuff/2006%...s/DSCF3744.jpg

Trunk:
http://zootal.no-ip.info/stuff/2006%...s/DSCF3745.jpg
http://zootal.no-ip.info/stuff/2006%...s/DSCF3746.jpg

Entire tree:
http://zootal.no-ip.info/stuff/2006%...s/DSCF3750.jpg

The pics may not really give a good indication of the tree's overall health.
The leaves are warped, curled slightly. No new growth. Apples look good, so
far. Some of the branches have missing bark and cracks. I'm not sure how
healthy it is or how long it will live. What can be done to maintain and
improve the health of an old tree like this?

Looks like every other really old apple tree I've ever seen. Do you
fertilize it, or prune it properly, does it get adequate water? Those
are things you can do yourself with some self-study. Call your state ag
agent, should be one in your county, and ask for some help in
determining the health and well-being of your great old tree. The ag
agents are paid with your tax dollars and generally, or so I've found,
are willing to give you advice. Wish I had the tree but apples don't
grow well in SW Louisiana. HTH

George

Old 09-07-2006, 06:08 AM posted to rec.gardens
sherwindu

My overall opinion based on the pictures is that there is nothing seriously
wrong
with this tree. I get curled leaves on some of my dwarf apple trees, and
although
unsightly, doesn't seem to be a danger to them.

To improve it's health, you may want to do some pruning to open up the tree,
although with a tree this big, it won't be easy and possibly not safe for you to
do
yourself. You might try and cut off any dead branches, as well. Also, keep it
from drying out during any drought periods. That's pretty much all you can do
as long as the tree has no diseases or insect infestation.

Sherwin D.

Old 09-07-2006, 07:55 AM posted to rec.gardens
Matthew Reed

Looks like every other really old apple tree I've ever seen. Do you
fertilize it, or prune it properly, does it get adequate water? Those are
things you can do yourself with some self-study. Call your state ag agent,
should be one in your county, and ask for some help in determining the
health and well-being of your great old tree. The ag agents are paid with
your tax dollars and generally, or so I've found, are willing to give you
advice. Wish I had the tree but apples don't grow well in SW Louisiana.
HTH

George

Ah, good advice from both of you. Should I not worry about the cracked
branch missing bark? How about pruning? There are hundreds of little
vertical suckers sticking up all over the top of the tree, should I cut all
or some of them off? I will see about the aggy agent, might be of some help.

How would I go about fertilizing it? Also, I'm not sure how to water it. In
the spring the water table is only 9 feet deep. In summer I think it drops
to 18 feet or maybe deeper. I'm not sure how deep the tree roots go.

Old 10-07-2006, 06:11 AM posted to rec.gardens
sherwindu

Matthew Reed wrote:Ah, good advice from both of you. Should I not worry about
the cracked

branch missing bark?

If the leaves extending from the crack look ok, leave it alone.

How about pruning? There are hundreds of little
vertical suckers sticking up all over the top of the tree, should I cut all
or some of them off?

You can cut off all the suckers, preferably while the tree is dormant in
early Spring.
Certainly remove any dead branches. You can also cut off one of every
branch that
crosses closely to another. Cut off branches that grow inwards towards the
trunk.
That should do it.

I will see about the aggy agent, might be of some help.

How would I go about fertilizing it?

You can spread mulch around the drip line and/or mix in some composted
manure.

Also, I'm not sure how to water it. In
the spring the water table is only 9 feet deep. In summer I think it drops
to 18 feet or maybe deeper. I'm not sure how deep the tree roots go.

Apple trees do not send out deep roots and tend to stay near to the surface.
Test the
soil about 6 inches or so deep for signs of moisture. If necessary, deep
water the tree
about once a week.

Sherwin D.

Old 11-07-2006, 06:44 AM posted to rec.gardens
Matthew Reed

snip excellent advice from several people

Ahh...much more good advice, but it does bring up one more question. This
tree once sprawled with very long branches. The guy that had the property
before me butchered it back, and now it have these very thick 12" or so
branches that leave the main trunk and go about 15 feet or more, and stop
because he cut them all off. From these is a lot of new growth sprawling all
over. I should take som pics of inside the canopy so you can see what I'm
describing. Also, two main branches that are over 12" thick all but cross
each other. I could cut one off, but it's quite large and would leave a big
scar - again let me see if I can get some pics so this makes more sense. The
challenge here is that this is a big tree and the branches themselves as
they branch from the main trunk are over very thick. I think the main trunk
itself is easily 36" diameter. Hmm...tomorrow I'll measure it and take pics
and post links to them here so you can see what I'm describing. It's a big
beautiful tree, and I'm willing to invest some time and effort to save it.
It gives a lot of shade, and there is a rope swing on one of the branches
that my girls love (should this be removed so it doesn't damage the limb any
more then it has?).

Old 11-07-2006, 07:42 AM posted to rec.gardens
sherwindu

Matthew Reed wrote:

snip excellent advice from several people

Ahh...much more good advice, but it does bring up one more question. This
tree once sprawled with very long branches. The guy that had the property
before me butchered it back, and now it have these very thick 12" or so
branches that leave the main trunk and go about 15 feet or more, and stop
because he cut them all off. From these is a lot of new growth sprawling all
over. I should take som pics of inside the canopy so you can see what I'm
describing.

Aside from not looking very nice, I don't think this stubby growth pattern
seems
to have damaged the tree. You could encourage these branches to grow a new
'leader' by pruning off the smaller branches and selecting the biggest and
strongest
for that purpose.

Also, two main branches that are over 12" thick all but cross
each other. I could cut one off, but it's quite large and would leave a big
scar - again let me see if I can get some pics so this makes more sense.

I think it might be too late to fix that problem. Cutting off such a large
branch
could do more harm than good.

The
challenge here is that this is a big tree and the branches themselves as
they branch from the main trunk are over very thick. I think the main trunk
itself is easily 36" diameter. Hmm...tomorrow I'll measure it and take pics
and post links to them here so you can see what I'm describing.

If the branches are growning too tightly together, you could cut some of
them off,
especially the ones growing towards the center of the tree. Don't take off
too much
wood in one season. Check the web for info on how to prune to decide where
make your cuts, and in what fashion.

It's a big
beautiful tree, and I'm willing to invest some time and effort to save it.
It gives a lot of shade, and there is a rope swing on one of the branches
that my girls love (should this be removed so it doesn't damage the limb any
more then it has?).

Keep an eye on the attachment points that they are not cutting through the
bark. You may
want to add some padding at the attachement points to distribute the load.

Sherwin

Old 12-07-2006, 12:33 AM posted to rec.gardens
Matthew Reed

Here are the promised pics:

http://zootal.no-ip.info/stuff/2006%...ree/index.html

Old 14-07-2006, 06:34 AM posted to rec.gardens
Zootal

Matthew,

I'm no expert, but do have one old ancient tree like this and have
transplanted about 95 11-15yo trees from an orchard that was closing down
and only had one DOA out of the bunch. A tree as old as yours is bound to
have some battle scars but I didn't see anything in the pictures that run
up
a caution flag. Overall it looks pretty healthy. As was mentioned in
another
post, I would take the time once it is dormant to open up the center
canopy
a bit. I spent a good bit of time on-line and talking with local experts
and
here is what I do.

snip

Any guesses as to the age of the tree? The trunk is about 36 inches in
diameter - big. I chopped down a tree half it's size that had about 70 or so
rings. I had to cut it down because one of the two main trunks had rotted
2/3 of the way through, and it was dangerous. Hated to do it, poor thing

[IMG] code is On

Emergency advice needed for dying apple tree gillisfab Edible Gardening 1 07-07-2011 05:36 PM
Old apple tree drastic pruning advice Mook United Kingdom 8 06-08-2006 10:06 PM
Planting Apple Tree with bare roots - advice needed [email protected] United Kingdom 10 11-01-2006 06:36 PM
Advice on spraying my apple trees needed. Joe McElvenney United Kingdom 1 05-02-2005 03:06 AM
Apple tree advice plz. Stephen Goodall United Kingdom 6 13-05-2003 01:56 PM