Old 09-07-2006, 07:55 AM posted to rec.gardens
Matthew Reed

Default Apple tree advice needed

Looks like every other really old apple tree I've ever seen. Do you
fertilize it, or prune it properly, does it get adequate water? Those are
things you can do yourself with some self-study. Call your state ag agent,
should be one in your county, and ask for some help in determining the
health and well-being of your great old tree. The ag agents are paid with
your tax dollars and generally, or so I've found, are willing to give you
advice. Wish I had the tree but apples don't grow well in SW Louisiana.
HTH

George

Ah, good advice from both of you. Should I not worry about the cracked
branch missing bark? How about pruning? There are hundreds of little
vertical suckers sticking up all over the top of the tree, should I cut all
or some of them off? I will see about the aggy agent, might be of some help.

How would I go about fertilizing it? Also, I'm not sure how to water it. In
the spring the water table is only 9 feet deep. In summer I think it drops
to 18 feet or maybe deeper. I'm not sure how deep the tree roots go.