Old 10-07-2006, 12:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

Default Anyone identify this Please

On 10/7/06 12:16, in article
, "Mike Lyle"
wrote:

Charlie Pridham wrote:
"DC" wrote in message
Hello,
This was planted last year, and is now trying to take over.
http://i6.tinypic.com/1zewfpz.jpg
Can anyone tell me what it is?
Sorry about bad picture, it's a bit windy.
Dave C

Looks like lavatera. its a shrub which you can prune back a bit in autumn
(to prevent wind rock) and again in spring harder like a buddleja

I twice had these die on me after a year or so of rapid flourishing.
IIRC, the first was the type (if it has a type) and the second a
Barnsley. It was in west Wales, but in partly exposed positions on a
slightly raised bed of very poor soil. I could never work out if the
poverty and poor water-retention of the soil were to blame, or if I was
just unlucky with frosts. three eucalypts, a deutzia, some berberis and
other things nearby were perfectly happy. No sign of disease.

Any ideas?

It's just one of the characteristics that they'll go on for a few years
perfectly happily and then suddenly keel over. Ray says that usually, it's
caused by Phytophthera ramorum.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk