Old 09-07-2006, 02:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
DC

Default Anyone identify this Please

Hello,
This was planted last year, and is now trying to take over.
http://i6.tinypic.com/1zewfpz.jpg
Can anyone tell me what it is?
Sorry about bad picture, it's a bit windy.
Dave C

Old 09-07-2006, 02:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mary Fisher

"DC" wrote in message
Hello,
This was planted last year, and is now trying to take over.
http://i6.tinypic.com/1zewfpz.jpg
Can anyone tell me what it is?
Sorry about bad picture, it's a bit windy.
Dave C

It looks like a tree mallow to me. Very attractive but fast growing, as you
say. It will stand cutting back hard.

Mary

Old 09-07-2006, 02:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

On 9/7/06 14:11, in article , "DC"
wrote:

Hello,
This was planted last year, and is now trying to take over.
http://i6.tinypic.com/1zewfpz.jpg
Can anyone tell me what it is?
Sorry about bad picture, it's a bit windy.

Looks like a Lavatera. Try doing a Google image search.

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 09-07-2006, 04:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Stewart Robert Hinsley

In message , DC
writes
Hello,
This was planted last year, and is now trying to take over.
http://i6.tinypic.com/1zewfpz.jpg
Can anyone tell me what it is?
Sorry about bad picture, it's a bit windy.
Dave C

Lavatera x clementii 'Barnsley'. The distinguishing feature is the white
petals, aging to pink, with darker pink claws. (AFAIK, none of the other
varieties develop such a strong pink colour from an initial white
state.)
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
http://www.malvaceae.info/Genera/Lavatera/galleryO.html
Old 10-07-2006, 08:23 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Charlie Pridham

"DC" wrote in message
Hello,
This was planted last year, and is now trying to take over.
http://i6.tinypic.com/1zewfpz.jpg
Can anyone tell me what it is?
Sorry about bad picture, it's a bit windy.
Dave C

Looks like lavatera. its a shrub which you can prune back a bit in autumn
(to prevent wind rock) and again in spring harder like a buddleja

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 10-07-2006, 12:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

On 10/7/06 12:16, in article
, "Mike Lyle"
wrote:

Charlie Pridham wrote:
"DC" wrote in message
Hello,
This was planted last year, and is now trying to take over.
http://i6.tinypic.com/1zewfpz.jpg
Can anyone tell me what it is?
Sorry about bad picture, it's a bit windy.
Dave C

Looks like lavatera. its a shrub which you can prune back a bit in autumn
(to prevent wind rock) and again in spring harder like a buddleja

I twice had these die on me after a year or so of rapid flourishing.
IIRC, the first was the type (if it has a type) and the second a
Barnsley. It was in west Wales, but in partly exposed positions on a
slightly raised bed of very poor soil. I could never work out if the
poverty and poor water-retention of the soil were to blame, or if I was
just unlucky with frosts. three eucalypts, a deutzia, some berberis and
other things nearby were perfectly happy. No sign of disease.

Any ideas?

It's just one of the characteristics that they'll go on for a few years
perfectly happily and then suddenly keel over. Ray says that usually, it's
caused by Phytophthera ramorum.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 10-07-2006, 01:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

On 10/7/06 12:52, in article
, "Mike Lyle"
wrote:

Sacha wrote:
On 10/7/06 12:16, in article
, "Mike Lyle"
wrote:

[...lavatera...]

I twice had these die on me after a year or so of rapid flourishing.
IIRC, the first was the type (if it has a type) and the second a
Barnsley. It was in west Wales, but in partly exposed positions on a
slightly raised bed of very poor soil. I could never work out if the
poverty and poor water-retention of the soil were to blame, or if I was
just unlucky with frosts. three eucalypts, a deutzia, some berberis and
other things nearby were perfectly happy. No sign of disease.

Any ideas?

It's just one of the characteristics that they'll go on for a few years
perfectly happily and then suddenly keel over. Ray says that usually, it's
caused by Phytophthera ramorum.

The service in this joint is really fast! Thanks, Sacha.

LOL! I just happened to come up to my study and see your msg. pretty
quickly. it was a welcome break from taking 5 excitable dogs round a muddy
field!

That's scary. I had rhodos and established oaks apparently unaffected,
though.

I know but then Ray is pretty relaxed about the Phytophthera. He was
talking to an old nurseryman/gardener about this some time ago and this chap
reckons it's been around for years, striking at random but not doing
anything like the dramatic damage it's reckoned to do. That may be a climate
thing but that's just speculation. We get the odd bit dying back in a
mature Viburnum tinus we have and Ray thinks it might be for that reason but
the rest of the plant and all the rhodies around it, soldier on.
Lavateras do seem to be prone to that sudden falling over thing, though. I
had exactly your experience with one in my last Jersey garden. I had it for
about 3 years and it flowered its socks off. Then one day I went into the
garden and it was all limp and sulky and that was the end of it.
I suppose the best thing I can say is that at least you're now warned to
keep an eye open!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 10-07-2006, 03:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mary Fisher

"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
oups.com...

Charlie Pridham wrote:
"DC" wrote in message
Hello,
This was planted last year, and is now trying to take over.
http://i6.tinypic.com/1zewfpz.jpg
Can anyone tell me what it is?
Sorry about bad picture, it's a bit windy.
Dave C

Looks like lavatera. its a shrub which you can prune back a bit in autumn
(to prevent wind rock) and again in spring harder like a buddleja

I twice had these die on me after a year or so of rapid flourishing.
IIRC, the first was the type (if it has a type) and the second a
Barnsley.

They do die, they're like sheep!

But they grow from cuttings very easily so I always kept one going against
the day.

Mary

Old 10-07-2006, 10:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Stewart Robert Hinsley

In message .com, Mike
Lyle writes

I twice had these die on me after a year or so of rapid flourishing.
IIRC, the first was the type (if it has a type) and the second a
Barnsley. It was in west Wales, but in partly exposed positions on a
slightly raised bed of very poor soil. I could never work out if the
poverty and poor water-retention of the soil were to blame, or if I was
just unlucky with frosts. three eucalypts, a deutzia, some berberis and
other things nearby were perfectly happy. No sign of disease.

Any ideas?

The cultivated shrubby Lavateras are mostly hybrids, and as such there
isn't a wild type. The taxonomic type, used when Cheek formally
described Lavatera x clementi, is a specimen of Lavatera x clementii
'Rosea', which is the original and commonest variety.

Lavateras appear not to like waterlogging - that's how I've lost a few.
They're not completely bone-hardy with respect to frost, but 'Rosea' and
'Barnsley' are pretty good. (I think 'Bredon Springs' is the hardiest.)
(My allotment is sufficiently exposed that I've lost Lavateras to frost
there, and had others cut back to the ground. I also lost some
herbaceous forms this spring, but whether this was wet and cold, or
rapageous gastropods ....) They will also not tolerate a great amount of
shade from other shrubs.
--
alias Ernest Major
http://www.malvaceae.info

Old 11-07-2006, 01:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle

Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:
In message .com, Mike
Lyle writes

I twice had these die on me after a year or so of rapid flourishing.
IIRC, the first was the type (if it has a type) [...]

The cultivated shrubby Lavateras are mostly hybrids, and as such there
isn't a wild type. The taxonomic type, used when Cheek formally
described Lavatera x clementi, is a specimen of Lavatera x clementii
'Rosea', which is the original and commonest variety.

[...]

Many thanks for that, Stewart: I've often wondered what it was, vaguely
thinking it must be olbia.

--
Mike.

Old 11-07-2006, 06:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Stewart Robert Hinsley

In message .com, Mike
Lyle writes

Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:
In message .com, Mike
Lyle writes

I twice had these die on me after a year or so of rapid flourishing.
IIRC, the first was the type (if it has a type) [...]

The cultivated shrubby Lavateras are mostly hybrids, and as such there
isn't a wild type. The taxonomic type, used when Cheek formally
described Lavatera x clementi, is a specimen of Lavatera x clementii
'Rosea', which is the original and commonest variety.

[...]

Many thanks for that, Stewart: I've often wondered what it was, vaguely
thinking it must be olbia.

The name Lavatera olbia 'Rosea' was long used (and can still be found)
for Lavatera x clementii 'Rosea'. Even though 'Barnsley', as I
understand the situation, is a sport of 'Rosea' you'd use to find that
as Lavatera thuringiaca 'Barnsley'.

Nowadays 'Ice Cool' is a thuringiaca variety, and 'Eyecatcher', 'Lilac
Lady' and 'Pink Frills' olbia varieties, and the rest either placed in x
clementii, or not placed beyond the genus. There's been enough
backcrossing that it's hard to tell where the boundaries lie. I've got a
few herbaceous seedlings that I know are Lavatera x clementii, 'cos I
know what the seed parent is (and in confirmation they're pretty much
sterile). I've got other herbaceous seedlings in which the seed parent
was Lavatera thuringiaca, which have reduced fertility, and show other
signs of hybridity, such as shorter pedicels. Are these backcrosses, or
is this natural variation in thuringiaca?
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
http://www.malvaceae.info
Old 12-07-2006, 08:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
DC

DC wrote:
Hello,
This was planted last year, and is now trying to take over.
http://i6.tinypic.com/1zewfpz.jpg
Can anyone tell me what it is?
Sorry about bad picture, it's a bit windy.
Dave C

Hello again,
I must say thank you for all these replies, like someone said,
" The service in this joint is really fast! "
It's my 1st. post to this NG, and the 1st. try with tinypic.com,
Good result!

Dave C.