Old 10-07-2006, 12:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle

Default Anyone identify this Please

Sacha wrote:
On 10/7/06 12:16, in article
, "Mike Lyle"
wrote:

[...lavatera...]

I twice had these die on me after a year or so of rapid flourishing.
IIRC, the first was the type (if it has a type) and the second a
Barnsley. It was in west Wales, but in partly exposed positions on a
slightly raised bed of very poor soil. I could never work out if the
poverty and poor water-retention of the soil were to blame, or if I was
just unlucky with frosts. three eucalypts, a deutzia, some berberis and
other things nearby were perfectly happy. No sign of disease.

Any ideas?

It's just one of the characteristics that they'll go on for a few years
perfectly happily and then suddenly keel over. Ray says that usually, it's
caused by Phytophthera ramorum.

The service in this joint is really fast! Thanks, Sacha.

That's scary. I had rhodos and established oaks apparently unaffected,
though.

--
Mike.