Old 10-07-2006, 01:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

Default Anyone identify this Please

On 10/7/06 12:52, in article
, "Mike Lyle"
wrote:

Sacha wrote:
On 10/7/06 12:16, in article
, "Mike Lyle"
wrote:

[...lavatera...]

I twice had these die on me after a year or so of rapid flourishing.
IIRC, the first was the type (if it has a type) and the second a
Barnsley. It was in west Wales, but in partly exposed positions on a
slightly raised bed of very poor soil. I could never work out if the
poverty and poor water-retention of the soil were to blame, or if I was
just unlucky with frosts. three eucalypts, a deutzia, some berberis and
other things nearby were perfectly happy. No sign of disease.

Any ideas?

It's just one of the characteristics that they'll go on for a few years
perfectly happily and then suddenly keel over. Ray says that usually, it's
caused by Phytophthera ramorum.

The service in this joint is really fast! Thanks, Sacha.

LOL! I just happened to come up to my study and see your msg. pretty
quickly. it was a welcome break from taking 5 excitable dogs round a muddy
field!

That's scary. I had rhodos and established oaks apparently unaffected,
though.

I know but then Ray is pretty relaxed about the Phytophthera. He was
talking to an old nurseryman/gardener about this some time ago and this chap
reckons it's been around for years, striking at random but not doing
anything like the dramatic damage it's reckoned to do. That may be a climate
thing but that's just speculation. We get the odd bit dying back in a
mature Viburnum tinus we have and Ray thinks it might be for that reason but
the rest of the plant and all the rhodies around it, soldier on.
Lavateras do seem to be prone to that sudden falling over thing, though. I
had exactly your experience with one in my last Jersey garden. I had it for
about 3 years and it flowered its socks off. Then one day I went into the
garden and it was all limp and sulky and that was the end of it.
I suppose the best thing I can say is that at least you're now warned to
keep an eye open!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk