Old 10-07-2006, 08:50 PM posted to rec.gardens
Tracey

Default Root Beer Plant

clc wrote:
"Tom or Mary" wrote in message

Hoja Santa (Piper auritum) Root Beer Plant. I noticed that the local
master
gardeners were growing this plant, but when I asked them if it would
survive
the winter, and come back next week they did not know. I live in
Pittsburgh,PA was wondering if I planted it outside would it come back the
next year, or should I plant it in a pot, and bring it inside for the
winter. I noticed someone on a plant website said they were growing it in
greenhouse in Indiana.

Thanks

Tom

Thank you, Tom, for providing me with the *real* name of this plant. I
bought one in the Spring at the UIs Horticulture Club Plant Sale, but it was
only labeled *Root Beer Plant*. I may try to take a start and leave part
outside (I do have a microclimate area in my garden) and bring the mother
inside.

Cheryl

When I lived in Minnesota, I did an experiment one year. I had a few
plants that *should* have died over the winter but I stuck the pots
in a fairly protected area and surrounded them with garbage bags
full of leaves. All around and on top. The plants survived to
grow the next year. (IIRC, at least one a calla.)

Tracey