Old 11-07-2006, 04:30 AM posted to rec.gardens
Steve

Default Amaryllis and Narcissus bulb fly

Does anyone here have any knowledge of Amaryllis (Hippeastrum) and
Narcissus bulb fly?

I own several Amaryllis plants and I like to put them outside in the
summer to build themselves up in the better light. Many years, too many
of them are destroyed or severely damaged by a plump larvae that I
believe to be from Narcissus bulb flies. It's odd that I don't seem to
notice of my white narcissus missing. They are growing just several
yards from where I place the Amaryllis and are chronically over crowded.
Daffodils growing elsewhere in the yard also seem to come back just fine
every year.

Still, I believe Narcissus bulb fly to be my problem. (Does anyone have
another idea?) I'm thinking I might be safe putting them out later in
the season, like maybe August. Where I live, the Narcissus are just now
having their leaves turn brown. Maybe in another 3 weeks, the bulb flies
will have finished the adult phase of their life cycle and the Amaryllis
would be safe? That would still give them a couple of months before frost.

Does anyone here know enough about this to confirm or correct my ideas?

Steve (in the Adirondacks of northern NY)