Old 11-07-2006, 03:28 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
JimR

Default Newbie Question - How to start growing roses?

Tom -- While there are lots of types of roses and many of them take quite a
bit of care, you don't have to obsess over it.

If you want to grow florist quality roses you'll get involved in questions
of soils, black spot and other diseases, appropriate root stock,
fertilizers, spraying schedules, etc.

Instead, I'd suggest you start with easy-to-grow varieties, that may not
have the fine points of patented hybrid tea roses, but which will provide
color and fragrance. There are a few heritage roses that have done well for
over one hundred years, which many nurseries will have. However, I'd
suggest you find a local nursery (or even a big-box home store) that carries
the "Knock Out" variety, a bush rose. Make sure your soil is reasonably
fertile, plant the roses, and just deadhead the blossoms after they flower.

Knock Out gives you both color (red or pink) and fragrance and seem to do
well under almost any conditions with little or no care. Regards --

"Tom The Great" wrote in message
Hello Everyone,

I live in the North Eastern Part of Pa. I have NO Roses, but thought
it would be cool to turn a bland area of my yard into a rose area. I
like roses, just have never grown them, and not really sure where to
start. I've done a few searches, and only found 'tips' not really a
newbie guide.

little help?

Thank you,

tom