Old 11-07-2006, 08:16 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Charlie Pridham

Default dead clematis from wilt, should I compost ??

"Tiger303" wrote in message
Charlie Pridham Wrote:
I always burn my clematis prunings!

out of interest charlie whats your reasoning behind this? is it u don't
want to spread disease and you don't think your compost heap will be
hot enough to kill spores for example.

thanks

--
Tiger303

I do not compost any garden rubbish but put it straight on the ground so I
assume there would be a small possibility of infection if the wilted
clematis had clematis wilt (most don't) In winter when most of the cutting
back happens I shred and drop on the ground as normal as I have a lot of
clematis, but I can't quite bring myself to do it for wilted stems during
summer!

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk