Old 12-07-2006, 01:55 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
William L. Rose

Default snails versus beer? How does this work?

In article ,
"Daniel Glazer" wrote:

someone here (and another acquaintance) mentioned some trick involving beer
to rid one's tomatores of snails. how does it work? something bout putting
out beer in a way so they can get in (maybe into the can of beer) but not
out?

thanks in advance

Just pour it in a pan/plastic barque (or whatever) with the brim of the
afore mentioned pan/plastic barque (or whatever) at ground level. It
works after a fashion but as already mentioned by someone else, it only
works in a limited area and is gawd awful messyto clean-up. Change the
beer every few days as the marinade fills with critters. (Seems like a
waste of beer to me.) If chickens and ducks are not an option, then your
best results will probably be with fine mulch and night-time patrols.
I'm in Northern California and as the ground dries out, and I cull the
raging herd of slugs and snails from my garden, I need to go out fewer
and fewer nights. Nothin' like some good hops, to send me off to sleep.