Old 11-07-2006, 09:33 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Daniel Glazer

Default snails versus beer? How does this work?

someone here (and another acquaintance) mentioned some trick involving beer
to rid one's tomatores of snails. how does it work? something bout putting
out beer in a way so they can get in (maybe into the can of beer) but not
out?

thanks in advance

Old 11-07-2006, 10:10 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
cloud dreamer

Daniel Glazer wrote:
someone here (and another acquaintance) mentioned some trick involving beer
to rid one's tomatores of snails. how does it work? something bout putting
out beer in a way so they can get in (maybe into the can of beer) but not
out?

The beer attracts slugs and snails. You're supposed to put it in a low
edged container and the buggers crawl into the beer and drown. It works
but it's messy and fairly labour intensive and is only good for a
limited area. I've had more success with simply mulching around the
tomatoes.

..

Zone 5a in Canada's Far East.
Old 11-07-2006, 11:24 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Penelope Periwinkle

On Tue, 11 Jul 2006 20:33:49 GMT, "Daniel Glazer"
wrote:

someone here (and another acquaintance) mentioned some trick involving beer
to rid one's tomatores of snails. how does it work? something bout putting
out beer in a way so they can get in (maybe into the can of beer) but not
out?

Put in the beer in a paper cup or bowl, or leave it in the can.
The snails and slugs drown in the beer.

Penelope

- "pointed"
Old 11-07-2006, 11:30 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Penelope Periwinkle

On Tue, 11 Jul 2006 18:40:00 -0230, cloud dreamer
wrote:

Daniel Glazer wrote:
someone here (and another acquaintance) mentioned some trick involving beer
to rid one's tomatores of snails. how does it work? something bout putting
out beer in a way so they can get in (maybe into the can of beer) but not
out?

The beer attracts slugs and snails.

The yeast in the beer attracts the snails and slugs.

Supposedly putting yeast in water will draw them as well, but
I've never tried it.

Penelope

- "pointed"
Old 12-07-2006, 01:28 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
zxcvbob

Daniel Glazer wrote:
someone here (and another acquaintance) mentioned some trick involving beer
to rid one's tomatores of snails. how does it work? something bout putting
out beer in a way so they can get in (maybe into the can of beer) but not
out?

thanks in advance

First you eat the snails, then chase them with a beer. The order is
important; if you drink the beer first the snails are just disgusting
and you don't have anything to wash them down. HTH :-)

Bob

Old 12-07-2006, 01:55 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
William L. Rose

In article ,
"Daniel Glazer" wrote:

someone here (and another acquaintance) mentioned some trick involving beer
to rid one's tomatores of snails. how does it work? something bout putting
out beer in a way so they can get in (maybe into the can of beer) but not
out?

thanks in advance

Just pour it in a pan/plastic barque (or whatever) with the brim of the
afore mentioned pan/plastic barque (or whatever) at ground level. It
works after a fashion but as already mentioned by someone else, it only
works in a limited area and is gawd awful messyto clean-up. Change the
beer every few days as the marinade fills with critters. (Seems like a
waste of beer to me.) If chickens and ducks are not an option, then your
best results will probably be with fine mulch and night-time patrols.
I'm in Northern California and as the ground dries out, and I cull the
raging herd of slugs and snails from my garden, I need to go out fewer
and fewer nights. Nothin' like some good hops, to send me off to sleep.
Old 12-07-2006, 05:59 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Daniel Glazer

First you eat the snails, then chase them with a beer. The order is
important; if you drink the beer first the snails are just disgusting

wait, shouldn't be drink the beer first and enuf so that NOTHING is
disgusting?

Old 20-07-2006, 05:59 AM
Registered User

Smile

Daniel Glazer First you eat the snails, then chase them with a beer. The order is
important; if you drink the beer first the snails are just disgusting

wait, shouldn't be drink the beer first and enuf so that NOTHING is
disgusting?

i wonder if the gravel that u buy at the pet shops could be used to keep
snails away. after all they dont like that kind of stuff. good luck, sockiescat.