Old 12-07-2006, 02:13 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
higgledy

Default Pruning tomatos

My 5 year old cut the top off one of my tomatoes. It was an
indeterminant, will it stop growing now?

TQ wrote:
Tomats aren/t heavy feeders. Does each plant get a full gallon of 'blue
light special' elixir? What/s its NPK?

I/d try laying off the ferts for a month, then resume feeding either
half-strength every two weeks or full-strength once a month.

"andromeda4000" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have been following the advice on the box of tomato plant food from
K-Mart and feeding one tablespoon dissolved in a gallon of water once
every two weeks.

TQ wrote:
"andromeda4000" wrote in message
oups.com...
I think I need to prune my tomatos to yield better fruit instead of
huge plant growth. I forget though, is it to pinch off the new leaves
at the main branches or something else?

Huge plant growth and poor fruiting could be a result of

over-fertilizing.
What have your plants been feed and how frequently?

I/m not a big fan of pruning, unless it/s to remove branches that come

in
contact with the ground to prevent leaf diseases or if I/m trying to win

an
obesity prize.