Old 13-07-2006, 03:18 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Susan Erickson

Default How much sunlight?

On Wed, 12 Jul 2006 22:42:10 -0600, "Maggie's Mom"
wrote:

Susan: I live in Pueblo county. We moved last year, and for the first time
in my life I have a porch. The porch is on the south end of the house, but
in front of it there is a large tree. The east side gets sun from the
sunrise until about 11 AM. I think I better take the orchids off the sunny
spot, because I am a newbie and have no idea how to treat sunburn on an
orchid. They will have plenty of bright light minus the sunlight by the wall
of the house, and they should be happy there. I think misting them with
distilled water at least couple of times a day should help. They also stand
in oversized saucers filled with marbles and water at all times. Marbles
keep their "feet" dry while water evaporates and keeps them little more
humid.
Shade cloth - where did you buy yours? I was looking for it here at Home
Depot, also at Lowe's - and nobody even knew what I was talking about. Is it
so rare?

Peace, - Maggie's Mom.

No - It may not be called shade cloth. The cover we put up over the
patio each summer is from Lowes I think. They had it in the garden
section on a cart.. Their odd garden supplies are usually grouped
together. Look for the water feature stuff and the water plants. They
may be out of it for this year. Or they may not stock it there. Both
HD and Lowes stocked it 2 years ago when we bought this piece. IT is
silver. They also had green I believe. The Black is warm, so try to
avoid it. Heat is not something you need to add.

The piece on the gh is 1/2 of what we used on a patio cover in Chicago
20+ years ago. At that time you had to order it from Parks Nursery or
one of the big catalogue houses.

If they don't carry it and cannot/will not order for you, try an
internet search. There are lots of places to get it.
SuE
http://orchids.legolas.org/gallery/orchids