Old 12-07-2006, 09:54 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Maggie's Mom

Default How much sunlight?

Hello all. I decided to "de-lurk" for a while to find out about sunlight. I
took my orchids out on the porch (I live in CO). For a couple of weeks they
have been staying totally out of the sunlight. Few days ago I put them in
the sunnier spot, where they get morning sunshine until about 11 AM. I have
a wildcat odontocidium and couple of young cattleyas, as well as one phal
that is just about done blooming.
I would love to know how much sunlight is too much for an orchid. And, by
the way: is it a good idea at all to take orchids outside in CO?
I hope I did not do anything stupid...
Peace, - Maggie's Mom.

Old 12-07-2006, 11:09 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Ray

Absolutely get that Phal out of the sun! The "rule of thumb" (almost
literally) I've heard is that if you can hold your hand a foot above the
plant, you should just barely be able to detect a shadow. More light than
that is too much.

I cannot speak for the others, due to your locale...

. ..

Old 13-07-2006, 01:21 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Maggie's Mom

Thanks for advice. I had no idea that phals are so sensitive to sunlight.
Just in case, before I hear more on the subject, the orchids will go back to
their shaded place. Plenty of light, but no direct sunlight at any time of
the day.
Does anybody else have any ideas about orchids and sunlight?

Thanks! - Maggie's Mom.

. ..

Old 13-07-2006, 04:19 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Susan Erickson

We keep shade cloth on the roof of the gh year around in Boulder
County. I have Ascda, Vanda, and Renanthera on the top level on the
south end of the gh and Catts, Brassia, Oncidium hybrids on the north
end. A few Nakamotoara and Aerides are mixed in.

Are you on the Western Slope, Front Range, Plains or up in the
mountains? Do you get any sun after 11 in the area your talking
about? We have the gh, (by default - the backyard) on the west side
of the house and on the south end of that side. So I get midday on
full sun year around.

Early morning sun is less intense, but by 9-10 it is probably too
strong for the Catts with out some 'partial shade.' These plants can
sunburn just like you. Unless you progressed slowly to more light I
would expect sunburn on a couple of leaves from 1 or 2 days in the
sun. They are better off with "bright shade or dappled shade" where
the sun does not sit on the same spot all day long.

The problem with growing them out doors is our notorious 7-10%
humidity. When you have the monsoon season in full swing we may or
may not make a 30% humidity between rains. The orchids would prefer
to never drop below the 30%. On the other hand many would prefer a
morning mist from an irrigation line and another every couple of
hours. .. Just a mist not 'being watered". This may make the plants
happier than living full time in the basement under light tracks.

On Wed, 12 Jul 2006 18:21:04 -0600, "Maggie's Mom"
wrote:

Thanks for advice. I had no idea that phals are so sensitive to sunlight.
Just in case, before I hear more on the subject, the orchids will go back to
their shaded place. Plenty of light, but no direct sunlight at any time of
the day.
Does anybody else have any ideas about orchids and sunlight?

Thanks! - Maggie's Mom.

SuE
http://orchids.legolas.org/gallery/orchids
Old 13-07-2006, 05:42 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Maggie's Mom

Susan: I live in Pueblo county. We moved last year, and for the first time
in my life I have a porch. The porch is on the south end of the house, but
in front of it there is a large tree. The east side gets sun from the
sunrise until about 11 AM. I think I better take the orchids off the sunny
spot, because I am a newbie and have no idea how to treat sunburn on an
orchid. They will have plenty of bright light minus the sunlight by the wall
of the house, and they should be happy there. I think misting them with
distilled water at least couple of times a day should help. They also stand
in oversized saucers filled with marbles and water at all times. Marbles
keep their "feet" dry while water evaporates and keeps them little more
humid.
Shade cloth - where did you buy yours? I was looking for it here at Home
Depot, also at Lowe's - and nobody even knew what I was talking about. Is it
so rare?

Peace, - Maggie's Mom.

Old 13-07-2006, 03:18 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Susan Erickson

On Wed, 12 Jul 2006 22:42:10 -0600, "Maggie's Mom"
wrote:

[...]

No - It may not be called shade cloth. The cover we put up over the
patio each summer is from Lowes I think. They had it in the garden
section on a cart.. Their odd garden supplies are usually grouped
together. Look for the water feature stuff and the water plants. They
may be out of it for this year. Or they may not stock it there. Both
HD and Lowes stocked it 2 years ago when we bought this piece. IT is
silver. They also had green I believe. The Black is warm, so try to
avoid it. Heat is not something you need to add.

The piece on the gh is 1/2 of what we used on a patio cover in Chicago
20+ years ago. At that time you had to order it from Parks Nursery or
one of the big catalogue houses.

If they don't carry it and cannot/will not order for you, try an
internet search. There are lots of places to get it.
Old 14-07-2006, 09:08 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Kenni Judd

Maggie's Mom: Ray was speaking specifically about Phals. Catts and Oncids
prefer more sun (about 40% here in Florida, probably a greater percentage
for you since the sun is less intense up there); Phals are shade-lovers
(bright indirect light, but no direct sun much after sunrise). The
higher-light types are unlikely to bloom for you in the shade that a Phal
enjoys. There are many different kinds of orchids, just as there are many
different kinds of trees G, and they don't all grow the same. However, if
your plants were getting sunburned, I think you would have seen very obvious
symptoms within the first couple of days after moving them.

A lot of growers have culture instructions (for the types that they grow) on
their websites, myself included, but I'm in Florida ("blessed" with
_overabundant_ humidity G, among other differences) -- you would do better
looking for instructions from a nursery closer to your location. Google, or
visit www.orchidmall.com and scroll through the list of plant sources for
those in your area.

Someday, I'll figure out how to ship some of that excess humidity to those
of you who need it, and then I won't need to sell orchids anymore :)
--
Kenni Judd
Juno Beach Orchids

"Maggie's Mom" wrote in message
. ..
Thanks for advice. I had no idea that phals are so sensitive to sunlight.
Just in case, before I hear more on the subject, the orchids will go back
to their shaded place. Plenty of light, but no direct sunlight at any time
of the day.
Does anybody else have any ideas about orchids and sunlight?

Thanks! - Maggie's Mom.

"Ray" wrote in message
. ..
Absolutely get that Phal out of the sun! The "rule of thumb" (almost
literally) I've heard is that if you can hold your hand a foot above the
plant, you should just barely be able to detect a shadow. More light
than that is too much.

I cannot speak for the others, due to your locale...

--

Ray Barkalow - First Rays Orchids -
www.firstrays.com

Old 14-07-2006, 10:07 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Maggie's Mom

Actually, the Colorado sun is pretty intense, this probably has to do with
the altitude. We're around 5700 feet, and believe me, you can get sunburned
to a crisp before you know it. I think moving the orchids out of the direct
sunlight was definitely a good idea. At their present location they have
abundance of daylight minus the burning sun. Actually, I believe that I will
have to move my cactus, as it appears it is getting sunburned.... seriously,
it has sunburn spots on its skin. I thought a cactus exposed to sunlight
through window glass won't mind the sun exposure outside. But it does mind.

My Phal gets fluorescent light most of the time. She lives on a specially
constructed shelf in the winter, and actually blooms in the winter. Last
she bloomed in September though December, and rebloomed in late April. Every
Summer I take her outside, and for last three years my orchids were placed
under a huge maple, where they got occasional spot of sunlight, but most of
the time they had green shade. They appeared rejuvenated when I was bringing
them home for the winter. Now I have this porch, and I am trying to do the
best I can, so the orchids can enjoy the summer warmth and I can enjoy my
orchids and show them off.

Thank you for your advice. I will try to look up some local orchid growers
and ask them all the hows and whys for this climate. However, it appears
that there aren't too many orchid growers where I live. Oh, well. Will have
to search for some orchid lover who lives in similar climate.

Peace, - Maggie's Mom.

"Kenni Judd" wrote in message
[...]

. ..

Old 15-07-2006, 02:07 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Susan Erickson

Clip-------------------------------

Thank you for your advice. I will try to look up some local orchid growers
and ask them all the hows and whys for this climate. However, it appears
that there aren't too many orchid growers where I live. Oh, well. Will have
to search for some orchid lover who lives in similar climate.

Peace, - Maggie's Mom.

"Kenni Judd" wrote in message
m...
Maggie's Mom: Ray was speaking specifically about Phals. Catts and
Oncids prefer more sun (about 40% here in Florida, p

Kenni - we are using a 67% shade cloth in our gh - 365 days a year..
We don't get the hours of FL sun, But we don't get the clouds or
storms either. We also have 360+ days of sun a year and 1 mile less
atmosphere, pollution, and fog to filter it. YES we get sun. (Don't
worry your not the only FL grower who assumed we did not have sun.)

"Mom" -
I do think you are going to find the filtered shade or bright shade
will give them a boost if you can add some water. You might want to
put in a drip irrigation line where your going to summer them and just
use mist or spray nozzles. We use a drip line for all the hanging
baskets. It goes off morning and noon every day. Timers are great.

Just like the gh misters go off every morning for the Ascda.

As to Societies off I-25. -- You have Escalante in Santa Fe coming
north to the valley, but they meet in Santa Fe or Los Alamos.
Colorado Springs fairly new and I don't know how active they are.
Denver meets on the second Tuesday Sept to June at the Denver Botanic
Gardens -- if your up this way. I don't know what might be east of
you. Denver is the only one with a big judged show.

If your up this way on the second Sat. of the month drop down to the
Botanic gardens and visit the judging.

Vendors -- Mostly nursery's that wholesale them from Hawaii and don't
know what they have.

The only one in Colorado is Fantasy Orchids in Louisville (north west
of Denver just off hwy 36 on the way to Boulder). On line you have
Ray, Al, Kenni, (I am missing someone) all talking to you here. I can
also recommend Oak Hill Gardens in Illinois - Greg is from the
Springs.

Let me invite you to the Denver Orchid Show on the Second WEEKEND of
October at the Botanic Gardens - we will have Hoosier, Oak Hill, and 2
others (I forget who).

My email does work... drop me a line if you wish.

Old 15-07-2006, 08:48 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Kenni Judd

Susan: Thus the suggestion to seek more local help. The more important
point I was trying to make, which seems to be getting lost here, is that
Catts are not Oncids, Oncids are not Phals, etc. Treating them all exactly
alike is bound to make one or another of them unhappy.

Maggie's Mom: The folks at Fantasy are very nice, I've had lots of dealings
with them, although not in the last year or so, I think they would try their
best to steer you right. Kenni

Old 19-07-2006, 11:03 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Maggie's Mom

Thank you all for your input. Last Sunday I finally found shade cloth
(actually that was what the label said) hidden among bird netting at Lowe's,
I bought the desired length and installed it.

I believe it benefited not only the poor orchids, but other plants as well.
Even the cactus. Now I have to moisten the orchids few times a day, spray
bottle with distilled water works wonders in this climate. They seem to
enjoy it, and it makes me wonder: how about one of those fans with water
mist?

As soon as the house repairs are over, which takes up all my time, I will
get in touch with local orchid growers. Thanks for pointing them out to me.
I bet they will be very helpful, and my orchids will benefit from it.

And of course I need to straighten my typo up: I typed 5700 feet. It is
actually 4700 feet. Oops, just elevated my town 1000 feet. Hope nobody
noticed ;o)

Peace, - Maggie's Mom.

Old 19-07-2006, 11:45 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Ray

I would recommend against misting the plants that often. The concept is to
raise the humidity - "wet the air", not the plants.

TO MUCH SUNLIGHT????? bob Orchids 3 16-11-2005 08:00 PM
TOO MUCH SUNLIGHT????? bob Orchids 1 15-11-2005 08:53 PM
Sunlight - how much? occupant Gardening 1 21-09-2004 11:14 AM
Grapes How much sunlight? berries Australia 2 13-04-2003 01:08 PM
lighting... how much is too much? redled Freshwater Aquaria Plants 1 09-02-2003 05:13 AM