Old 18-03-2003, 08:20 PM
350X_Rider

Default Dosing With Nitrates - how much

Thanks a whole bunch..... I did find Chuck Gadds site, and it's
bookmarked....

and yes, I've bid on Dominics auction on aquabid....

"nikolay_kraltchev" wrote in message
om...
Here it is, water column fertilizers, nice, proven and simple:

Nitrates:
--------
Use dry Green Stump Remover.
$5 bottle from WallMart (garder section) will last you forever.

Guideline:
CAUTION! POISON! Don't use spoons and containers used to mix that
chemical for anything else.
Mix 1 heaping teaspoon of the dry powder in 4 ounces of water.
10 ml. of the above solution will raise the Nitrates in a 55 gal. tank
about 5 ppm.

If you want - find Chuck Gadds site on detailed instructions how to
mix that an other chemicals.

Phosphate:
----------
Use Fleet Enema - $0.99 in any drug store.
Yes, I said enema.
Use carefully - it's very concentrated!
6 drops of that in a 55 gal. tank raises the Phosphates about 0.5 ppm

Potassium:
---------
"No Salt" - $2.00 or so for a container that will last forever.
Found in any grocery store.
Mix right before use. It spoils quickly.
Chuck Gadd's site talks about making a solution (the "No Salt" is
KCl).

Traces:
--------
Got to buy these from an aquarium place.
Might need to add on a daily bases - they seem to break down or get
used up very fast.
This is a good online store for Traces:
http://www.yamatogreen.com/

Fe:
--------
Got to buy that from an aquarium place.
Might need to add Fe on a daily bases - Fe does break down or gets
used up very fast.
Dosing once a week may not work.
This is a good online store for Fe:
http://www.yamatogreen.com/

This article by Tom Barr is very much all you need to read:
http://www.sfbaaps.com/reference/barr_02_02.shtml

All of the above are water column fertilizers.
You may need substrate fertilizers (you burry them in the gravel) for
some plants.
Ask other people about them, I don't know much about substrate
fertilizers.

--Nikolay