Old 18-03-2003, 08:44 PM
Penny Morgan

Default leyland cypress

Yes, they do get over 50 ft. In fact, I have a catalog from a local nursery
where I buy perennials, trees and groundcovers, that says they
eventually will get 60-70 ft. tall.

Here's a reference for you. My neighbor planted a row of them about 2 feet
apart (way too close) about 7 years ago. They were in 1 gallon pots and
were about knee high (little saplings). They are now about 20' tall and
have formed a solid wall. She has to trim out some branches once in
awhile and her husband tried to cut a straight line on the tops, but
couldn't reach all of them.

They are a fast growing evergreen tree that is beautiful in texture and a
vibrant green. You can trim them to a smaller size until they get really
tall.
They are also prone to bag worms. They look like little hairy pine cones
hanging on the branches, but in reality, they will take over the tree and
suck all the nutrients and liquid out of the tree, killing it. If you ever
see these, you can remove them by hand or spray them (not sure which one,
but a hardware store would carry it). My new neighbor just lost a cedar to
them.

I also have some Leyland Cypress in my backyard behind a hill on the back of
our property. They were planted as a screen from a road behind the hill. I
just bought this house and it's only 5 years old. I don't know when they
were planted, but let's assume it's 5 years. They are probably 20-25 ft
tall and about 6-7 ft wide. When I say wide, I mean looking straight at one
side of the tree, not the actual diameter. Hope this doesn't
depress you. It will give you a realistic reference so you can make the
right choice for your yard.

Penny
Zone 7b - North Carolina
"HI HI-" wrote in message
ok i just bought two of them but im afraid to plant them because the rep
told me that they get soo big that i shouldnt plant them in my yard.
i thought these trees are good border trees about 30 high and 7 feet wide.
he was like they get 50+ and over 15feet wide...
is this correct?

Starting at the bottom is one thing.
Staying there is another.